Herbs for Ducks?

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi all!
My flock is almost 20 weeks old! We’re expecting our first eggs around beginning of August. Right now my flocks is on a commercial feed (a mix of Manna Pro Duck/Goose Layer Pellet & Kalmbach Duck/Goose food in a ratio to allow 3% Ca and 18% Protein). They have free range access during the day and get occasional green peas/dried bugs as treats. I typically also toss in some fresh cut mint/oregano/sage for them to go to town on. They’re doing great!

I wanted to start adding dried herbs to their feed mix for the anti microbial/fungal benefits and wanted to get opinions on amounts/dosage. I want to add dried oregano and red pepper flakes. Through research I saw recommended 1tsp of red pepper flakes per cup of feed but can’t seem to find a rec for dried oregano? Just ambiguous terms like ‘sprinkle’. Any idea or recommendations?

My girls also get raw ACV in their waterer (1 Tbsp per gallon) but that’s to mostly keep algae at bay in between deep scrubs. (Don’t worry they have access to other water sources without ACV as well).

Any recommendations would be great I’m still learning but getting better each day.

Also on a herbal note, I was wondering if fellow duck owners do preventative de-wormings on a schedule using herb blends or medications. (I have no signs of worms right now just planning ahead to be prepared) I plan to be eating the duck eggs so I want to get more info on that / make sure my girls are kept in good health 😄

Added pic of my ladies (Tina, Louise, and Toast)
Thanks!

Attachments

• B61E063B-0B13-49F6-AD95-35F57368F8D0.jpeg
    B61E063B-0B13-49F6-AD95-35F57368F8D0.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 101
@Miss Lydia does herbal dewormer <3
i keep huge potted plants of oregano, thyme , sage, rosemary, mints, and balms for my birds to nibble on if and when they so desire. I also pick some and toss into their nest boxes and coop corners to freshen things up :)

I sprinkle 3 Tablespoons into the bucket of feed along with Nutritional yeast mix it real good before putting into the feed bowels. I have 27 birds to feed so you may not need to put as much oregano as I do.

Back
Top Bottom