Here’s one for the books!

Redbud55

Songster
6 Years
Jan 1, 2018
I adopted a sex link when we moved into our house. She was laying then, so she was at lease six months old. She stopped laying over a year and a half ago. Actually, I didn’t think she’s make it two summers ago. But, the life in her eyes said she wasn’t ready to go. So this summer, she did better and she looked better. Her feathers looked good and her comb was turning bright red, for the first time in two years! So, I was pleased the old girl was doing well. We figure she’s at least five, maybe six years old. Well.....she’s started laying again! I have a flock of Icelandic chickens, so all of their eggs are white. I have one more rescue chicken, an Astrlorp, who quit laying this spring. So, that left Gert...she gave me “an elbow” this morning as she got into the nest box? And she is laying almost every day! You could knock me over with a feather, ( I have lots! Looks like a pillow fight in the chicken yard). So, has anyone seen and old chicken who quit laying for two years, start to lay again? I haven’t, and I’ve been caring for chickens for ten years!

Huh, wow. Maybe whatever was making her sickly stopped the egg production and now that she is fully well things restarted. Like in human females, some conditions (anorexia, professional athletes, etc.) can stop menstruation Until that condition is resolved.

So glad your girl is feeling better and is back to laying! Why they don't lay can be a mystery.

I had and Black Australorp hen that rarely laid eggs. In her youth she looked pale, tail drooped and lacked energy. I never could figure out what was wrong with her. Then at year 5 all of a sudden she looked better, had more energy and started laying regularly! And she laid well into the fall of her 6th year! She laid more eggs in those 2 years than she did for her first 5 years total. She lived to nearly 10 years old.

I worried over her for the past two years. I just couldn’t cull her, she showed me she wasn’t ready. I never could figure it out. I worm my chickens in the spring and fall. They have a huge yard, p,us I let them out to free range in the late afternoons. Good quality feed, clean water...she couldn’t take the Tennessee heat and humidity. But, now look at her! I just never would have guessed!

So glad your girl is feeling better and is back to laying! Why they don't lay can be a mystery.

I had and Black Australorp hen that rarely laid eggs. In her youth she looked pale, tail drooped and lacked energy. I never could figure out what was wrong with her. Then at year 5 all of a sudden she looked better, had more energy and started laying regularly! And she laid well into the fall of her 6th year! She laid more eggs in those 2 years than she did for her first 5 years total. She lived to nearly 10 years old.
It just shows...you never know!

Huh, wow. Maybe whatever was making her sickly stopped the egg production and now that she is fully well things restarted. Like in human females, some conditions (anorexia, professional athletes, etc.) can stop menstruation Until that condition is resolved.
Maybe...anything is possible. I just could never figure it out why she wasn’t doing well for so long. My chickens are spoiled rotten...

Back
Top Bottom