Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Congrats on hatching your own babies! I use a LG still air too, but try to keep my temp at 101. I believe 99.5 is for forced air. Do you have a 2nd bator for hatching?

Hi!! I hope it's ok if I jump in here too! I currently have 4 pilgrims from my own goose bakin' away. This is my first time hatching, so I'm here to gather all the info I can and hopefully meet some other goose lovers
love.gif

frow.gif

Congrats on hatching your own babies! I use a LG still air too, but try to keep my temp at 101. I believe 99.5 is for forced air. Do you have a 2nd bator for hatching?

That's the temp with the thermometers laying on the bottom. (I have 2) From what I read that's what it should be unless the thermometer is measuring half way up the egg. Am I wrong??! Please tell me if so!
I will be getting my hatching bator in the next couple days. Do you use a LG for hatching? I feel like the heating elements are so close. I accidentally got my finger with it the other day and OUCH!

Marty this is the incubator I just started using this year. I have four LG and needed a change since my call duck hatch rate isn't better so I chose this one. It holds much better temps and consistant than anything I have used before. Plus since it is hard plastic it is much easier to clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Egg...186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415b794032

Littledear no worries on misspelled names
smile.png

That's the temp with the thermometers laying on the bottom. (I have 2) From what I read that's what it should be unless the thermometer is measuring half way up the egg. Am I wrong??! Please tell me if so!
I will be getting my hatching bator in the next couple days. Do you use a LG for hatching? I feel like the heating elements are so close. I accidentally got my finger with it the other day and OUCH!

It is my understanding that you measure heat from the top of the egg. For me, when my gauge is sitting on bottom screen, it will only be 97. I'm just a beginner, and have only had 1 goose hatching before... but I did get 4 of 6 to hatch out healthy and strong. My next set is now on day 25 and all 5 eggs are doing great as they turn into final position for hatching.

I use one of those baby suction bulbs that you use on babies noses. Put the end of the temperature probe inside the end and leave the bulb inside. It acts like an "egg" and you will get much more stable temps and it will be more accurate to what is inside the real eggs next to them. Yes it does take up space in the incubator but you will drive yourself crazy trying to measure temps at the top, middle and bottom of the eggs...especially if you have different size eggs in the same incubator.

Kawonu, let me know how the new bator works for the call eggs. When I was hatching calls 24/7 last year I was using the Brinsea Eco only and had 80-95% success.

Oh and 4/5 eggs still going strong, one blood ringed, but not concerned as they all have strong veins and perfect air cells even with shipping. Thinking I will move them to our empty Brinsea today to ride out the rest of their time. Easier to keep them separated through hatch that way.

Celtic, I'll let you know about the call hatching. I've only got two pairs right now. Another pair leaving the Chicago area heading here today. I've got to get back into building my flock up again.

I sent the four baby Poms out USPS this morning heading to Florida and they said they will be there by 3pm TODAY!

Let me know how your four eggs go. If you need more let me know. They slowed down last week but now over the weekend started back again. I think I'll throw some more in with everything else I got going in this week. I have several shipped eggs coming in.

Also, if you have any Silver Appleyard eggs that are extra keep me in mind. I'd love some. I have the Silver Appleyard calls and love them.

Back
Top Bottom