Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Bull, I may not be the best person to ask, because from what I understand the proper way to do it is like newduckie said... with a diluted bleach solution.

I merely soak in near boiling hot water... then scrub with antibacterial liquid soap... then rinse again in extra hot water. Have not had a bacteria issue yet, but I plan on tossing these bators once the last set of dewlaps hatch. Then, when I get the urge to hatch again, I want to try a different type of bator.

You must use a mild bleach if you've got bacteria. Trust me, I have biology degree. Styrofoam holds germs bad, bleach is a commen disinfectanct, and inexpensive. You only need a few PPM to sterilize, so a1 Tablespoon to a quart of water will do it, if you use a rag to wipe. You MUST rinse well.

Iain, how is the dewlap hatch going?

Bull, I may not be the best person to ask, because from what I understand the proper way to do it is like newduckie said... with a diluted bleach solution.

I merely soak in near boiling hot water... then scrub with antibacterial liquid soap... then rinse again in extra hot water. Have not had a bacteria issue yet, but I plan on tossing these bators once the last set of dewlaps hatch. Then, when I get the urge to hatch again, I want to try a different type of bator.

Thanks for the response, Iain! I think I'll do the soap AND mild bleach. :) Btw, what kind of bator are you using now, and what are you planning on switching to?

IAIN - Whats the news on your dewlaps? Hows the Giant Toulouse? I want frequestnt pics!!

yesss.gif

Mine all came out weak legged, and ducks do too pretty often. It just takes 24-48 hours and they ar fine, and seldom need foot braces. Just let them practice, IMO.

Your pic is completley adorable! I am like
ep.gif
when I see the difference two weeks has made! Holy Cow.

I use a soapy water and rag/brush wash to remove uck from bottem of bators, screens, and then I also rub all but electirc stuff down on top and including egg turners. Next, I make a mild bleach solution (directions for sterilizing on back of bottle) in the tub, and dip bottem and screen in for 30 seconds, then rinse with my bath hair wash hose. I also use rag to bleach inside top (no elec. stuff), then rinse with rinsed out rag, and then put it tagather and plug it back in.

A big thanks to you too, Marty! As for the weak legs, my concern is that the baby's legs were way splayed, and it couldn't get around at all. When it tried, it would flip all over the place, including over backwards. I'm not home during the day, and I need it to be able to get to the water lid. #1 was wobbly for about the first 12 hours, but this baby is around 24 and still wasn't able to walk at all. With the brace, just in a few hours, it can now totter around and get around its tub. Here's to hoping I didn't jump the gun on the wobbly!
smile.png

Wow everyone!!! Such great posts in a short time!!

Newduckie, beautiful babies!! Congrats!!!! Excellent 2nd hatch!!

Bullcreek, you are doing great with your last baby. Keep it up and I bet it will get better soon. Are you adding a drop of polyvisol (without iron) and a dash of sugar to the water? FYI, my first gosling is actually named "No. 1" as he was the 1st one I hatched and the label stuck.

Goosed!!!
ya.gif
Did she do it on her own? Did she zip or push??

She did a little bit of zipping at warp ninja speed, and then gave some big kicks and popped out. She's already bumbling about. I'll tell you what, my goose makes some strong babies!

So far, so good. 1st egg has been in a slow mo zipping mode since pip and has gone a little over an inch so far. I expect to see decent cracks in 2nd & 3rd eggs within the next hour or two.
big_smile.png

Marty, I'll get a new snapshot of my newest toulouse baby with Molasses in a little bit. This one is by far my favorite!!

Goosed, my pleasure to help! Your goose sure does have strong babies! As an fyi, I will be gone all day/night Thursday.... have to do an 18 hour there/back trip to LA for work.

Can you see this video? day 26. got movement.. but hardly no airsac. very small. blotchy inside. Its looking bad.. but there is movement. Think he might not make it? I tried to upload it for Celtic but its not working? Can anyone see this? Your thoughts? I hope the poor little thing isn't suffering.. :-( Im supposed to stop turning it tomorrow. Im hoping for the best but it can't survive with no air. :-(
ReplyQuote Multi

No bleach here DH can't have it around him ... I just have to do my best with soap and hot water and let things completely dry inbetween hatches... I'm glad hubby made the new bator/ hatcher. Nothing for little nasties to cling to that I can't reach.

Back
Top Bottom