Heritage breed question?

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi All,
I purchased 6 chicks from a local feed store 2.5 years ago. Since then, I've learned so much about keeping chickens and recently lost 2 of my girls. One of my biggest regrets is purchasing from a feed store rather than a breeder who has their health and wellness in mind. I had no idea what I was supporting when we first got chickens, but now I know better and want to do better.

With that being said-- from what I've been researching, Heritage breeds sound like the way to go.

I have some silly questions... I'm still learning and appreciate anyone who reads this and shares their knowledge!

#1. When searching for a breeder, do they specify the chickens are heritage breeds?
#2. Or are heritage breeds just the breed itself, no certifications required, etc? For example, if someone is selling an "Ameraucana" it's automatically considered a heritage breed?
#3. I'm hoping to add colored layers to our small flock of now 4. (Ameraucana, Isbar, and Marans) I believe these are all considered heritage breeds, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's great to want to support local breeders and to keep heritage breeds alive, but there is one misconception about hatchery birds that tends to get spread around and which I'd like to correct.

When we say that hatchery birds are "low quality" we're not talking about their health. In fact, hatcheries depend on their ability to produce healthy, vigorous chicks.

What "low quality" means in the context it's used in is that the hatchery birds do not meet, and in some cases barely even approach, the expectations set by the Standard of Perfection for the breed in question.

When I ordered Silver-Laced Wyandottes for my Silver-Laced Australorp(ish) Project, I actually counted on the fact that hatchery-grade Wyandottes frequently have single combs instead of the correct rose combs because that will save me a generation in that breeding project. :)

One of the main ways in which hatchery birds vary from the SOP is that they are consistently under the correct weight for the breed. Another is that eye color and the number of points on the comb are likely to be wrong.

But they will probably enjoy vigorous good health and lay well -- possibly even better than would be expected from a heritage version of the bird because hatcheries value laying ability in their parent stock. :)

I can't answer your questions about defining heritage breeds, but here's a link from The Livestock Conservancy: https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-chicken-definition/

1 Sometimes

2 There are no certifications. Chickens never have pedigrees like dogs.

Heritage breeds are generally pure breeds that are long established in the country where they are being sold. In America, Plymouth Rocks and Buckeyes are a couple of examples. I don't think Ameraucanas have been around long enough to be considered a heritage breed.

3 It really depends on how you define heritage breed. Certainly Marans are a heritage breed in France, but they have only been here for a few years. They are definitely pure breeds. Marans and Ameraucanas are breeds that are accepted by the American Poultry Association, and can be shown.

Honestly, buying from breeders is kind of a crapshoot. So many breeders are dishonest and just out to make a buck. So make sure it is a reputable breeder before buying, preferably one with a closed flock. Word of mouth or good reviews online can help weed out the baddies.

I really see no problem with hatchery birds. They are not going to win at shows, but they are generally healthy and reasonable representations of the breeds.

What is your definition of breeder? A local person who breeds chickens? I do like to cut out the TSC type middle man for chick health reasons but big hatcheries are still "breeders." Also the word Heritage... TSC, Cackle, MPC - they all advertise "Heritage Breed." So to me that word is associated with "not mixed," like EE or OE. I've purchased chicks many different ways and I can tell you that I didn't have better quality chicks just because I found a local person. In fact that was one of the worst experiences I've had as I put a picture of the "Blue Wyandotte" on BYC and no one could figure out exactly what it was but all agreed not SOP. Then I got 2 Lavender Orps from a very small hatchery/breeder in my state and they arrived with respiratory illness, a band so tight i couldnt cut it off and one was a Cockerel supposed to be hen. I now get chicks directly from Privett or from my local family owned feed store who gets them from Privett. They are breed standard and healthy. I'm really sorry that you lost girls after 2. Do you know what cause of death was? As sad as it can be, I see that circle of life as opportunity to add new girls to my hen flock :oops: I'm sure you'll do a great job of selecting your next new chicks. I think my only point is that it's not your fault, you didn't do a bad buy, there is no perfect way just whatever your intuition tells you to do.

As you can see we all have different definitions of "heritage". Mine would be different to any already mentioned, including the Livestock Conservancy's definition. Instead of worrying about definitions that don't really describe anything we can agree on, what traits do you want in your chickens? What are your goals? Do they need to conform to the APA breed standards, mine don't. Do you want them to meet the Livestock Conservancy's standard, mine don't. I'm more worried about egg production, meat production, and how well suited they are to the way I manage them than just what they look like. Are yours for show or functionality? Are they more for eye candy than production? Do you want them to go broody and hatch and raise chicks or not? If you hatch chicks you have to deal with boys. Do you just want pets? Any of these and many more can be legitimate traits or reasons. We will be glad to help if you can tell us what you are looking for.

Everyone hatching their own eggs is breeder..... large or small. Any time you buy chicks you're gambling because there is no way to know how they will turn out. One advantage of a local breeder is that you may be able to buy POL poulets that are easier to evaluate for conformation.

There are so many chicken breeds out there that it's bewildering. If you want to have good quality SOP birds then you have to seriously study them, live with them for a few generations, cull ruthlessly and only breed from the best examples you have. At that point, the breeder becomes an artist.

It seems like I read somewhere that the heritage breeds have been around for at least a century. That's not very long in the grand scheme of things. IMO, ancient varieties would be much more interesting.

Last edited:
I agree with all the above, and buy from good hatcheries rather than local breeders now. The chicks I've had from 'show breeders' have been beautiful, but poor producers, not worth it for me. And not healthier of longer lived either.
Most breeders, including both show and hatchery, use birds one year of age, rarely older. So chickens are not bred for longevity in too many flocks, because those young birds produce more eggs and have higher fertility, so are most cost effective producing chicks.
Many hens are dying by age three for this reason...
We like our mixed flock, and have had birds of many breeds over the years. Look at the Livestock conservancy site, feathersite, and Henderson's breed chart, at least. pick some breeds that look interesting, order a few of each, and see who you like.
Mary

I used to think that heritage breeds was the way to go, with the years as a chicken keeper I came to realize that eventhough they are pretty birds, they usually are not as hardy, have more health issues and are a bit less productive. Then I found out how hard it was to get them from breeders. You have to really look into the breeders practices and that is some times difficult. If you are not going to show your birds, hatchery chicks are pretty, hardy and you have the advantage of getting them vaccinated (not all breeders vaccinate the chicks they sell) also you can get them sexed if you only want pullets.

One of my biggest regrets is purchasing from a feed store rather than a breeder who has their health and wellness in mind.
Where did the feed store get the chicks they sold?
Were they unhealthy?
If so, what breeds and what were/are the problems?

Be very careful about local 'breeders', they want to sell birds and who knows just how healthy those birds are....or are not.

At least with hatchery birds will not bring pests or disease into your flock.

As you can see we all have different definitions of "heritage". Mine would be different to any already mentioned, including the Livestock Conservancy's definition. Instead of worrying about definitions that don't really describe anything we can agree on, what traits do you want in your chickens? What are your goals? Do they need to conform to the APA breed standards, mine don't. Do you want them to meet the Livestock Conservancy's standard, mine don't. I'm more worried about egg production, meat production, and how well suited they are to the way I manage them than just what they look like. Are yours for show or functionality? Are they more for eye candy than production? Do you want them to go broody and hatch and raise chicks or not? If you hatch chicks you have to deal with boys. Do you just want pets? Any of these and many more can be legitimate traits or reasons. We will be glad to help if you can tell us what you are looking for.
Thank you! I just want them as pets. Reading all of these comments has been really helpful. I don’t need them to be egg laying machines. I just want them to be healthy.

Back
Top Bottom