Heritage/Standard or Broad-Breasted Bronze???

Your 2 cents?

• Heritage/Standard

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Broad-Breasted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RootsieTootsie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
Kentucky {NorthCentral}
I have (2) turkeys, a hen "Honeysuckle" and a tom "Butterball". I "acquired" them about 3 years ago when a friend just drove up out of the blue, his 2 young boys in tow, and a medium size plastic pet kennel in the truck bed. Crammed inside the kennel were 2 very ugly, adolescent, buzzard like creatures that I ultimately offered sanctuary to (to prevent them from filling the friends freezer). When 2 boys beg you to "swaaave da burrrdsss", you find yourself a willing but disgruntled turkey momma. I now love my turkeys, who turned out to be my "gateway birds".

My question is, what breed are these daggone things? I just can't decide. I was told that the guy our friend got them from had bought them as poults from a feed store (presumably TSC or SS). I think they are likely Broad-breasted due to that, but I really hope to find they are Heritage/standard. (Crossing fingers).

They are big and beautiful now, but I may be partial. Butter probably weighs near 40 lbs and has double beards (mentioning that since I'm not sure if that is just a general turkey characteristic or breed specific). Honey is probably around 30ish lbs. I have no way to weigh them, that's my guess by holding them.

Honey lays eggs; if not gathered she will most likely crush them and even if she doesn't crush them she is major broody and won't eat/drink even if I put dishes by her nest unless I take the eggs. When she gets going, she has an egg a day unless it's really hot and humid and just plain miserable out. When gathered and cracked open, her eggs have been known to sometimes have "blood spots". I know some say that indicates fertilization, while some say that is just something that occurs and does not have anything to do with fertilization.

Butter is a handful; he just won't leave her be, except in winter. At times, I have to seperate them because he will rub her sides raw to the point I have to clean and apply vetericyn vf to the areas. It's near impossible for me to tell if he is ever successful, but he sure gets an A+ for effort!

I have compared photos and read descriptions off/on and I just don't know if I'm hoping for Heritage/standard so badly that I'm in denial that they are clearly Broad-breasted, or if I'm just over-thinking this and they are clearly Heritage/standard???? They are here for life regardless, but I wouldn't mind to incubate some eggs to grow my flock if it is worth the effort (if I even have a breed that can naturally mate). Thanks for any thoughts.

This is my first thread, and I hope I'm not a bother. Glad to be here! :)

My guess is if you've had them for 3 years and have not had leg, heart or breathing problems. They are probably not bbb. They might be a cross from them.

If you like to incubate. I would by all means try a few of the eggs. If they hatch you have a few more birds for the farm or freezer.

I kinda figured I would have had issues by now too. I have read some posts on other threads about people buying bb bronze or white as pets and then having life threatening issues within the first year even.

I have never incubated, but we have friends who raise Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms. They said we could use their equipment. Might give it a go :)

Maybe I wrote too much and scared off potential readers/replies
hmm.png

Sorry, just wandering if I should get a few eggs and try to candle/incubate for the heck of it?

You have been told correctly that the blood spots do not have any meaning as to whether or not the eggs are fertile.

When you open up the eggs there will be a white spot on the yolk. If the white spot is a solid spot, the eggs are infertile. If the white spot is a bullseye then the egg has been fertilized. Here is a link to some excellent photos of both an infertile egg and a fertile egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

Based on the photos and your descriptions, I would say your turkeys are broad breasted turkeys. It is possible for broad breasted turkeys to mate naturally but they do have a very low percentage of success. Commercial broad breasted turkeys are produced by artificial insemination. Google can help you to find out how to do artificial insemination for turkeys.

If a person only has one hen and one tom, it is a good practice to put a turkey saddle on the hen during breeding season. If the hen goes broody, the tom should not be allowed access to a broody hen. The tom will take the fact that the hen is sitting down as an invitation to breed. The hen will not be cooperative and this can lead to the hen becoming injured or even killed.

The double beard is not an indication of which variety a turkey is. I had a Bourbon Red tom that had a huge double beard the year he turned 3. That was the only year that he had a double beard.

Good luck.

Pls I need help I have 10 hens and 1 tom they are now 8months old but they haven't start laying and I do feed them with layers mash

Pls I need help I have 10 hens and 1 tom they are now 8months old but they haven't start laying and I do feed them with layers mash

Back
Top Bottom