Hersey Heritage

HerseyMI

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
Hersey, MI
Hi! I live just outside Hersey which is about an hour north of Grand Rapids MI... or Hersey is about 6 hours north of Dayton OH. I have family near Dayton.

I keep a handful of hens and a roo around, just for eggs. I also have swine, the chickens and the pigs all free range on about six acres. I am interested in more foraging types of birdsh that will
jump up the bushes to feed on buffalo berries, honeysuckle and elderberries. My chickens are great ground foragers but there is a huge bounty above them so I am in the market for a few game birds. Aseels preferably, maybe Malays. Yep, I know they are bird agressive but I think everything will be fine once boundaries are known. Any that can't help themself will be kept in one of the barns but generally all our critters seem to work out their differences by themselves.
All in all we have dogs patterdale terriers, luchers, house cats, barn cats, chickens, white homing pigeons, hampshire and hereford hogs. At times its a handful but everything seems to come out in the wash. The luchers keep the coyotes and most other vermin away. In the event a raccoon does manage to make it into a building or hide somewhere my patterdales make quick work of the raccoon. Possums are stupid they fake dead but my lurchers see everything and have the patience of a deadly saint and do it from a great distance. Honestly they are like trapdoor spiders really. I do have one young lurcher that is fond of chicken and sadly he will be leaving this earth. Our cats, they do what they do and do it well. No mice or rats live long here... and our cats are tuff, they rough play with our patterdales... only because they grew up together. Our hogs live worry free from coyotes and they make fine bacon! The chickens feed all of us to some extent. So... I think that covers everyone... except me and the missus. I work full time and play farm partime, she plays farm fulltime. Lol! We don't have children but we do have a bulldog if that counts? Lol!

Looking for Aseel eggs or chicks... maybe Malay eggs or chicks.

Last edited:
images

You might want to check out these two threads on Aseels. Maybe someone there can help you with eggs or birds...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/802866/asil-aseel-thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679974/aseel-thread-discuss-share-photos-and-more

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Hope you stop by the Michigan thread and say hi - lots going on with Right to Farm here right now. Look in the Where am I - Where are You section of the Forum.

Thanks for the replies and advice! Awesome! This site is great!

How do I change my avatar? I tried but no-can-do for some reason. Here is a pic of my gr. Uncle with one of his birds. I thought I would use it for my avatar out of respect to him.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Hope you can find some Aseels or Malays-- they're beautiful birds.

Here is how you change your avatar:

First, make sure that the picture you want to change it to is stored in a folder on you computer, or the desktop. Then, go to your profile (up on the top right of the website, when you're logged in, you'll see something that says "My Profile". Click on that. It will take you to your profile page. On the left side should be your current photo, and beneath that will be a link that says "Replace Avatar". Click on that, and a box will appear. It will ask you to choose a file from your computer. Choose the photo you want, and click Submit. It should replace your avatar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom