Hey chicken “walkers”!! Which harness doesn’t press on the crop??

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
Recently, I harness and leash trained Henrietta for my senior photoshoot!
I took her last Friday and throughout the event I kept a really close eye on her and she was very relaxed.
She did great (I guess because she’s an older girl who’s already had some experience being moved around to new environments and such). She seemed to be enjoying it, and loved scratching around in the park where we were taking the photos.
Because the experience was so fun for both of us, I want to take her with me to parks more often! However, I am not a fan of the harness I bought. I’m pretty sure it presses on her crop, and it annoys me that the neck part is always uneven on her shoulders. I saw people suggesting the Aviator Bird Harness, but for chickens it’s a custom buy (😬💰💰).

To get to the point, does anyone know of a harness like the Aviator but for chickens? I want Henri to be as comfortable as possible on her future adventures. :) IMG_0400.jpeg

(Disclaimer: I know you can’t walk chickens. What’s fun for me is just being able to bring her outdoors with me and seeing her explore her surroundings. If we need to go someplace, I just pick her up and carry her.)

Attachments

• IMG_9219_Original.jpeg
    IMG_9219_Original.jpeg
    851.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9133_Original.jpeg
    IMG_9133_Original.jpeg
    732.8 KB · Views: 4
I have a harness that doesn't press the crop that works well for my birds. It's a very similar design to this one on Amazon, though I highly doubt it costed as much. (The one below is like $54, but mine might have costed $10-$20, and came with a leash.) Hopefully you can find one that's a lot cheaper!

1000000369.jpg

Also, with mine, the birds are picky on how it is put on. If it's on backwards, they won't be happy.

When taking your hen to the park, please keep an eye out for any and all predators. Some people won't leash their dogs, and some predators are used to humans being in the area, so they're more likely to come out. (Last time I took a hen to a park I had a hawk circling above. 😬 )

I have a harness that doesn't press the crop that works well for my birds. It's a very similar design to this one on Amazon, though I highly doubt it costed as much. (The one below is like $54, but mine might have costed $10-$20, and came with a leash.) Hopefully you can find one that's a lot cheaper!

View attachment 3782897

Also, with mine, the birds are picky on how it is put on. If it's on backwards, they won't be happy.

When taking your hen to the park, please keep an eye out for any and all predators. Some people won't leash their dogs, and some predators are used to humans being in the area, so they're more likely to come out. (Last time I took a hen to a park I had a hawk circling above. 😬 )
Thanks, that’s super helpful! I will certainly keep an eye on her. I know people’s tendencies to have dogs off-leash where they shouldn’t be :/
The park (well more like hiking trail) I’m planning on taking her to is no dogs allowed. I’ll also keep her on-leash the whole time 😁👍

View attachment 3782897

By the way, was the harness you got marketed toward dogs? I noticed the screenshot you took is a dog harness. Could a dog harness like that work for chickens?

By the way, was the harness you got marketed toward dogs? I noticed the screenshot you took is a dog harness. Could a dog harness like that work for chickens?
I think it was. Most chicken harnesses I've tried my chickens didn't like (and neither did I).

IMG_0573.jpeg

I think this one could work. It’s only about $10 and there’s an XS size. I hope I can adjust it to fit Henrietta well. She’s about 4ibs. Someone said it was too bulky for their 11ib dog but in the same comment they also said there was too many buckles. (There’s only one buckle…).
It’s not super expensive though so if it doesn’t work it’s not too big of a loss.

View attachment 3783092

I think this one could work. It’s only about $10 and there’s an XS size. I hope I can adjust it to fit Henrietta well. She’s about 4ibs. Someone said it was too bulky for their 11ib dog but in the same comment they also said there was too many buckles. (There’s only one buckle…).
It’s not super expensive though so if it doesn’t work it’s not too big of a loss.
That looks very similar to what I have! (Mine is pink though.) It's adjustable, so if it's too big or too small, you can readjust it. Before buying it, I would check to see if there is measurements on it and measure your hen to be sure it's not too small.

Back
Top Bottom