Hey from Costa Rica

Well. I'll post more from my other phone (all I have right now). These I took of the rooster that quickly adopted our flock...

Our kid wanted to name him Sperm. We settled on Seed.

Which is a whole separate topic. We didn't sign up for him but here he is. I think we will have to make peace with him given our location, no fences and his unwavering interest in the hens. He does seem nice as far as roosters go. Loud, but nice.

Attachments

• PXL_20210219_233019111.jpg
    PXL_20210219_233019111.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20210219_232419119.jpg
    PXL_20210219_232419119.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20210219_232531978.jpg
    PXL_20210219_232531978.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well. I'll post more from my other phone (all I have right now). These I took of the rooster that quickly adopted our flock...

Our kid wanted to name him Sperm. We settled on Seed.

Which is a whole separate topic. We didn't sign up for him but here he is. I think we will have to make peace with him given our location, no fences and his unwavering interest in the hens. He does seem nice as far as roosters go. Loud, but nice.
He is gorgeous! Should make beautiful chicks. Lol.
A rooster who is good to the hens and wins their affection is priceless.

I posted a thread in the breed ID forum with better pix. Thanks in advance. ☕🐓🌹💕🌿🌴🙏🏽

Welcome to BYC! It's so great to have you here. We visited Costa Rica a few years ago and it's such a gorgeous and friendly place :)

Your chickens are so beautiful and their names are awesome. I saw this post and the one you put in the breed ID forum. My comment is more about your coop. It looks great (and I'm sure the corrugated steel roof will be perfect for your climate), but it doesn't look very secure. Chicken wire, in our experience, doesn't provide much protection from predators. I'm not sure which predators are in your area, but you might consider locking your chickens up in a secure coop at night or putting a tighter weave wire (here it's called "hardware cloth" although it's not cloth lol) up on the sides of the coop if that's something that's available where you are.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! It's so great to have you here. We visited Costa Rica a few years ago and it's such a gorgeous and friendly place :)

Your chickens are so beautiful and their names are awesome. I saw this post and the one you put in the breed ID forum. My comment is more about your coop. It looks great (and I'm sure the corrugated steel roof will be perfect for your climate), but it doesn't look very secure. Chicken wire, in our experience, doesn't provide much protection from predators. I'm not sure which predators are in your area, but you might consider locking your chickens up in a secure coop at night or putting a tighter weave wire (here it's called "hardware cloth" although it's not cloth lol) up on the sides of the coop if that's something that's available where you are.
Thanks!! My neighbors (who also have chickens) built this for me so I had assumed they knew what they were doing. Would wire around the whole bottom part work? Or all up the sides? There aren't boas or anything like that here. We're at the top of a hill and they haven't seen coyotes come into this property. Also their (new) rooster sleeps in the tree above them.💕🐓

Last edited:
Aw... I love your story about the rooster that adopted your hens and how he sleeps above them in the tree 🥰 . If your neighbors set up your coop (nice neighbors!) and haven't had any problems with predators, then maybe the chicken wire will be enough. We have stray dogs, opossums, and raccoons that tear up or squeeze through anything not really strong to get to our chickens.

Back
Top Bottom