Hey Gang! Whatcha think of my plans and Rooster issue?

Got my first egg Thursday was a week ago, but had surgery on my dominate hand the day before, so have not been on the computer a lot....busy doing drugs etc. Have gotten 22 eggs since then....so in 11 days....most I have gotten is 4...once over the weekend and today....got my first blue green one today:)

My favorite rooster was attacked Fri pm by my German Shorthair Pointer....thought he would be ok...no puncture wounds, no blood, lots of feathers gone, limping badly. Caged him over weekend...something wrong with his legs. Don't feel anything broken, left thigh is swolledn...he just falls over when standing. I am seriously thinking about putting him down....he is beautiful, Lemon Cuckoo Orpington.........since my hens just started laying,nno way to get any biddies from him, he can't even stand up much less anything else....I am heart broken....it allhappened so fast. Hoot had never made a move at any of them before. Guess he would have killed him instantly if Edd had not been out there. Any advice?? I had thought about trying to wrap it, but I really think whatever happened is in the hip.

hugs.gif
I feel really bad for you. I am pretty new to having chickens and can't think of anything to help. I hope someone can help you save him.

That's terrible
sad.png

Is he eating and drinking? If so, I would give it a little time .... so sorry this happened to him...
He is eating and drinking and pooping.....which are all good signs. Talked on BYC with Boykin? he lives near me and knows a lot about these English variety orpingtons...he suggested that I just keep him in a small cage for a couple of weeks and see how he does. Soooooo, he stayed in the cage all last night and all day today til I got home from work and he was so pitiful and bummed out.

I rigged up a sling out of wide elastic type bungee cords and wrapped dish towels around them for padding, hooked them on the top of the cage where his toes would touch the floor/wood chips....he put weight on his good leg and mostly held the other one up. I slid him toward the front door of the cage and pushed to large cement blocks up to the opening and sat the waterer with electrolytes and the feeder there. He just stood there and stared until I put some chicken scratch and mealy worms on top of the food and then it was on!!! He tore it up and drank a lot of water. He probably stayed there about 30 minutes and looked sooo much better and seemed very satisfied but I think he wanted to move around then and could not...I was afraid to leave him in it over night...scared he might get tangled in it trying to get out and hurt himself worse.....

A pic of my eggs I've been getting. Today hit a record. The egg just barely fits in the palm of my hand. Weighed in at 3.1 oz. The egg carton is for Jumbo eggs, it barely fit. :) Do you see the darker eggs? Could those be my Welsummers or another chicken? I have BO, RIR, NHR, Wellies, Barred Rocks, Red Sexlink, Golden Laced Wyandottes. They don't have the specks yet, they are a bit young yet though. They were hatched on May 1st.

i dont think its yout welsummer, i am getting eggs that dark & my welsummers are not old enough to lay yet....mine that are laying are BO, EE, GOLDEN COMET, DOMINIQUE, SPECKLED SUSSEX

Hey guys and gals! Long time no talk! Hunting season has kept me busy .. what is new with you all?

Update from "The Eggplant" .... about 2months ago my Buttercups stopped laying and appeared to be molting ... 2 weeks later my Marans stopped laying .... last week I started getting Buttercup eggs again and a few days ago I received a Maran egg ... not sure what was going on, but things are getting back to normal .... my high egg day so far has been 15 and I am getting more than a dozen a day regularly :)

There was a time that I was getting only 1-4 eggs a day just a month ago ...weird?

How about you guys?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Hey guys and gals! Long time no talk! Hunting season has kept me busy .. what is new with you all?
Update from "The Eggplant" .... about 2months ago my Buttercups stopped laying and appeared to be molting ... 2 weeks later my Marans stopped laying .... last week I started getting Buttercup eggs again and a few days ago I received a Maran egg ... not sure what was going on, but things are getting back to normal .... my high egg day so far has been 15 and I am getting more than a dozen a day regularly
smile.png

There was a time that I was getting only 1-4 eggs a day just a month ago ...weird?
How about you guys?
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
So good to see you are BACK! I am getting 7-8 eggs per day now! My own dogs have been on a killing rampage with my chickens this week.....been a bummer. Lost a guinea, a blue English Orpington and a beautiful Cream Legbar Rooster. So needless to say, the dogs are in the doghouse!!! Someone sent me a link to a training thing to teach them to quit killing chickens......we will see. Do you like your Marans??? I don't have any, but think I need some for egg color....I do have Welsummers and love them. I pre-ordered some BCM chicks for April 8, 2013.

Quote: So good to see you are BACK! I am getting 7-8 eggs per day now! My own dogs have been on a killing rampage with my chickens this week.....been a bummer. Lost a guinea, a blue English Orpington and a beautiful Cream Legbar Rooster. So needless to say, the dogs are in the doghouse!!! Someone sent me a link to a training thing to teach them to quit killing chickens......we will see. Do you like your Marans??? I don't have any, but think I need some for egg color....I do have Welsummers and love them. I pre-ordered some BCM chicks for April 8, 2013.
That stinks about the dog! Shock collar might work and of course watching them closely ... I like the big, dark brown eggs my Marans give ... they are very shy ... nice birds!

Back
Top Bottom