Hey Gang! Whatcha think of my plans and Rooster issue?

what do you plan to line your nest boxes with to help you clean them out?
I have both in mine. shavings at the bottom and straw on top of them. they seem to like them, however, I have one hen that made her own nest in the corner of the coop! Sometimes I have 5 eggs in it and sometimes 1 and 5 in the boxes. Weird creatures!!!

I have a bail of straw hay, but I am out of shavings. the new coop and setting up the brooder ran me out of shavings. Most people use straw in their nest boxes. You can have some of that...

Sal

I meant under the straw or hay Tony, so if they poop in it--it is easier to pull it out and discard it--instead of the poop ending up on the wood.........

I bought plastic bins at Walmart that fit my nest boxes, and put the hay in them---thought then I could just pull them out and dump them and wash them. But, what do I know, my chickens aren't even old enough to lay eggs yet!!!!

We are trying to deal with the heat....it has been 105+++ here the last couple of days. One thing that they like is that I put a tray/baking sheet/shallow pan with water in it on the floor....they stand in it, drink, poop, squat in it, etc....but they like it.

I can post pics again! :D

So here is the Dorking hanging with the young ones... notice the sand ...

48e48641-acf7-bb84.jpg

And here are the corner roosts I put in...

48e48641-ad1c-c994.jpg

48e48641-aca4-1c82.jpg

Awesome idea for the corner roosts. I had already decided that I was gonna put in some outdoor roosting spots in my run for them, but those seem very, VERY popular. Looks like theres a line forming, lol

Back
Top Bottom