Hey! I’m new here! But I have a question!

I was in a similar situation with my first ducks being Pekins. I wish more instruction would come with them! They are unfortunately bred to put on weight super fast as they are meat ducks, and their poor little bodies often can not keep up :(. The liquid vitamin B complex is like a rescue med once a problem develops, it's stronger than just adding regular niacin, so that is what you need at this point. If the foot itself is at all curled, you need to make sure it starts developing flat, and you can do that by cutting out a tiny piece of plastic in the shape of the foot and using vet wrap to carefully attach it to the foot without cutting into it or anything like that. Make sure you support him as much as possible - give swim time a couple times a day to exercise his legs, support his body as he preens afterwards, and keep his food and water close so he doesn't have to walk too much - likewise, you don't want him to overdo it keeping up with the other ducklings. It's best to have the surface of the brooder something that's not slippery. If after reading through some of the threads on BYC you feel he may have a slipped tendon, you'll have to take other measures. Sorry, I can't advise you in that department as I have no experience. I wish the best for you and your little duck.

This was so helpful! Thank you! It’s reassuring knowing someone else went through this and I am not the only one! I will get the b complex as soon as I can!

Hi! I noticed his legs like this about a week ago! Let me tell you they grew SO MUCH in a week! This is my first time owning Pekins. I did not know they would grow so fast (I am learning.) as soon as I noticed I started giving all my ducks niacin. But I will definitely give them liquid if that will work better for him. Thank you for your advice!
Once they have a niacin deficiency the liquid B complex works the best. Also the niacin you are giving has to be niacinamide not flush-free or time-released neither of them will work.
They do grow super fast and that is one reason they are so prone to niacin deficiency.
Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

Hi everyone! So I got the b complex that everyone recommended. I am on day 3 of giving it to them. I give it to them 1 a day. Should I be doing it more? How much should I give them according to the syringe? They don’t really like drinking it to much, is there an easier way without having to seperate them from the other ducklings? Can I put it in their water?

Putting it in there water is going to dilute it too much. Is your syringe 1 ml if so thats is how much each duckling should get daily if they have a deficiency. If they won’t take it over treats then using the syringe is next best let me get you info on how to give liquids by mouth
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
If you can get someone to hold your duck that would free both your hands to give the meds I wrap mine in a towel like a burrito so they can’t flap their wings and fight.
Remember your doing this to get them over this they will forgive you.

Last edited:
I wanted to update you all. The little guy I was concerned about progressed really fast. It got the point that he couldn’t walk at all. He didn’t make it unfortunately. Super upset about this because my other one is beginning to have the same issue. I been doing everything that I been told to do and I feel like giving up😢. But I have a couple ideas to try and save this little guy. I’m very stressed about this. I’m going to completely seperate him and give him more niacin, I ordered brewers yeast and I made splints for its legs and want to make it like a hammock and cut holes in it for it’s legs so at night when it’s sleeping it can relax without putting weight on it’s legs. And of course, water therapy. I just wanna help him. Please tell me if this is a good idea or if I should put him down? I don’t want to do that. But if it’s for his own good I will.😮‍💨😭

Back
Top Bottom