Hey, look, it's another new guy...

chicksinthedale

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
New to the website, new to chickening, and new to fighting my city tooth and nail to lift their ban on urban agriculture.

Hi guys and gals! My name is Frank and I live in Springdale, AR. I was just about to build my first chicken coop when I discovered that chickens are explicitly banned. And that, well, it made me angry and hungry for change. Every city around us allows this, and recently Fayetteville, AR's ground breaking Urban Ag bill was approved by the planning commission by a unanimous vote. This would allow chickens and goats for those lucky devils... maybe I should move?

Anyhow, Gov. Mike Bebee signed senate bill No. 949 last year which stated "Springdale shall be called The Poultry Capital Of The World," forevermore. Really, Mr. Governor? Springdale barely has any chicken houses left; the farmers sold all their land between 1985 and 2005. During that 20 year stretch we grew nearly 200% and pushed farming out of out lives (I'm 37 so I remember most of it). We ARE the home of Tyson Foods -the largest poultry PRODUCER in the world. Isn't it ironic? Chicken capital... no chickens... just one really rich old "farmer."

I cant post a link to my Facebook page or the blog that I started because I'm new... just got a notice from the moderator on my first attempt. But I'm a decent writer, and I lover good grammar. If you want to see my page you will have to ask nice and I will send a link to you all secret like. Mmmkay, pumpkin?

If you fine chicken farming folks have any advice (or money) you want to throw my way to get my city issues fixed, just holler at me.

Oh, and WOO PIG SOOOIE!!! (#WPS) Did you guys see that dunk Qualls put down to end the Kentucky game last night?!?!

Bock,

Francis

PS.. that's me in the golden locks being handled inappropriately by a stranger. Because that's how I roll.

welcome-byc.gif
You might try checking this link for help with those chicken laws. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/37/local-chicken-laws-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

Thank you cluckcluckgirl! I have read through this stuff for hours on end, and I got a TON of good stuff out of it. I've never had a fight with my city -and I have been here since 1979- but it's on like donkey kong now... in a respectful manner of course.

images

Good luck with getting the laws changed. I have heard of others that live near the Tyson's Food Plant that have had many issues with keeping chickens as well. Some people on these forums that can't keep chickens in their area, switch to keeping quail, because the laws don't include quail as poultry. Not as personable as chickens, and are pretty aloof for the most part, (I keep Bobwhite Quail and Chickens) but quail can still provide meat and eggs if you are interested in that area of poultry keeping.

Good luck with your poultry adventures and I hope you can make a difference in your town.

Back
Top Bottom