Hey Texas, how do you

dakinsmimi

Songster
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Mississippi
get rid of an armadillo? We've only recently begun having problems with them so I'm not as familiar with dealing with them as other pests. Is there any way to find where they den? Are they as prone to go after the chickens as possums?
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

Hi, we have them here as well. Your chickens are safe, they eat gurbs & love ant larve. On thing to consider is if they try to dig under your coop.
We just leave them alone, have one living under our home.They are helpful in keeping your yard air- rated (sp?) lol. Ours give the fireants a hard time during the summer.
I don't know how you would git rid of it.
idunno.gif

If I thought they would get rid of the fireants I would be tempted to leave it alone. Saw it last night and it wasn't afraid of me at all.

We just leave ours alone too. Just make sure they can't dig into your coop to make way for other predators.
smile.png
Other than that they're pretty harmless...and help our 6 milion ants in the area LOL.

Dak, it wasn't afraid of you because it probably didn't even know you were there. They have very poor eyesight and their hearing is not real good either. You were probably downwind from the diller and he couldn't smell you. The only good sense they have is smell. I can't tell you how many dillers I've caught by just staying downwind, walking up to them, reaching down and grabbing their tail. They can't do anything when you have them by the tail. Then you just toss them in a cage and haul em off.

Bronc, looks like you have experience with these critters. Would you want to come to my house and catch this one?
ya.gif
Sorry, don't think I could catch it by the tail. Possum on the half-shell and possum's have BIG teeth.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here but I can vouch an old country trick to keeping armadillos away. Talk to your barber and have him bag up the clippings for the day for you. Try sprinkling hair around were they are digging, they hate the smell and irritation it causes in their tender noses and will avoid that spot like the plague. Also if you want to try to handle one wear gloves, they carry leprosy.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom