Hey! Texas transplants to Kansas

MoLT

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Hello Everyone!, I've checked out BYC in the past, but since I moved to south central Kansas from Houston I figured I better join in to learn new things about chicken keeping in colder climates. My two girls are three years old and moved from Houston with me. One is a RIR and the other an Austrlope, and so far so good, but now we need to add to our family. Problem is, I have no idea where to get any chicks. Would anyone have any suggestions? Wichita is the closest large city to me. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from a fellow Kansas, MoLT, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! I always enjoy seeing Kansas folk on the boards! Where to get chicks? I always get mine from the larger and more reputable hatcheries...I've ordered from Murray McMurray in Iowa, Meyer in Ohio, and Ideal Poultry in Texas and had great success. Chicks really travel pretty well through the mail. I wish you all the luck in the world!!

Last edited:
Go to "where am I, where are you," to locate your state thread and post there. You will likely find other chickeners who live in your area - they may even have chicks for sale.

Welcome to BYC Molt. I have traveled a lot of the same roads as you have. Lived North of Dallas for 3 years and grew up in Kansas. I'm in Indy now but I remember my first grade teacher was part of a family owned hatchery outside of Enterprise Kansas called Stirtz Hatchery. We went on a field trip and I bought my first chicken for about 25 cents.
smile.png
Of course that was close to 45 years ago. Anyway, I Googled it and it looks like it is still there. Probably a two hour drive from Wichita. There is probably something closer but that's the only one I know of. Good luck expanding your flock.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and early tips. What a great bunch y'all are!

Back
Top Bottom