Hi all from Lakeland Florida..

martinjj

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Lakeland Florida
I have been wanting to raise a few chickens for fun and the eggs, so this year I bit the bullet!!! I started off looking at small coops and tractors. I ended up with a nice 4'x8'x6' coop and run, got it all painted and pretty for the neighbor's would not complain!! I than headed down to TSC to pick up some chicks, I only planned on getting three but I got four just in-case one dies or turns out to be a roo! A very nice lady who was also picking up some chicks helped my wife and I sex them. Holding them on there backs and seeing if they curl there legs in or stick them out( in is a hen) also how far there comb goes up there head and to hold upside down and if the just hang or fight back at ya( just hanging is hen). Now I understand that this was a not scientific way, but it was worth a shot! We brought them home and for the first week we just kept them in a cardboard box in the spare room, but they started to grow pretty fast!! Last saturday I looked around the wood pile to see what i could make for them. I built a nice brooder 46"x 27"x50". We love every bit of having and raising them. So just wanted to say thanks to BYC for all the great info ya all are so open to sharing! So thanks, I'm addicted to my chicks!!!!!!
Martin

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
Happy you decided to join! Chickens rock!
D.gif

Hello!
welcome-byc.gif
and a Big ol' Texas HOWDY!!!

Im glad your here. I love BYC! I have learned so much here! Congrats on you new Fuzzy Butts!

Good Luck and God Bless!

At TSC they said assorted Reds so Im thinking there Rhode Island Reds, at least thats what they are looking like! Does anyone know how old they are when TSC get them?
Martin

Back
Top Bottom