Hi BYC 👋

FarmGirlErin

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've been a farm worker for over 10 years and I've been managing a small hobby farm for 6 years now. I was first introduced to chickens in childhood as my grandfather was a farmer.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

My current brood is only about 10 chickens, but I have kept laying flocks with upwards of 110 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Currently I keep Welsummers, Speckled Sussexes, Amercaunas and Silkies. I've kept just about everything. I love exotic breeds. My favorites are faverolles, Brahman, and seramas 😍

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love being outside and working with animals. My background is in English and language education, so I spent a lot of time indoors for school, but I find the outdoors and big open spaces healing. Keeping chickens is a part of that for me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love reading (often about vet medicine, chickens, farming practices, but also classics, fiction, and biographies), knitting, raising human kids, running.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I personally have 2 dogs, a turtle and 2 plecos, 2 boys, a husband. I'm currently a farm manager and mom.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I've used BYC for years, just googling chicken problems and reading as a visitor. I'm excited to post and get some specific advice on my birds.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I've been a farm worker for over 10 years and I've been managing a small hobby farm for 6 years now. I was first introduced to chickens in childhood as my grandfather was a farmer.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

My current brood is only about 10 chickens, but I have kept laying flocks with upwards of 110 chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Currently I keep Welsummers, Speckled Sussexes, Amercaunas and Silkies. I've kept just about everything. I love exotic breeds. My favorites are faverolles, Brahman, and seramas 😍

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love being outside and working with animals. My background is in English and language education, so I spent a lot of time indoors for school, but I find the outdoors and big open spaces healing. Keeping chickens is a part of that for me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love reading (often about vet medicine, chickens, farming practices, but also classics, fiction, and biographies), knitting, raising human kids, running.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I personally have 2 dogs, a turtle and 2 plecos, 2 boys, a husband. I'm currently a farm manager and mom.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I've used BYC for years, just googling chicken problems and reading as a visitor. I'm excited to post and get some specific advice on my birds.
Hi Erin, welcome to BYC! This is just the beginning! :)

Back
Top Bottom