Astrohens

Chirping
Nov 17, 2023
Hi there! My name’s Astrohens, or Astro for short. I am a new member of BYC and I can’t wait to be a part of the community!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I have been having chickens since i was a little toddler but my first chicken I ever got to take care of was a chicken called Browny and her sister Penny. I am not new to chickens but I am new to chicks and this is my first time hatching chicks so any tips are welcome!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have four chickens right now, but hopefully in a couple hours I’ll have eight! But I shouldn’t count chickens before they hatch!

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 Hyline Browns and 2 Broody Plymouth Rocks at the moment, who are sitting on four Silver-laced Wyandotte eggs!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

My favourite and most rewarding has got to be making friends with the chickens and getting them to trust you. It’s so rewarding when they follow you around the yard, not just because they’re hungry but because they have a special bond with you. They’re like feathered dogs!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Some of my other hobbies include Birdwatching, drawing, animating and playing basketball!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I have four tame cockatiel birds, my favourite being Halo, and a Rhodesian ridgeback dog named Jana!
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC when I was researching about hatching chickens! I’ve known about BYC for around 2 days until I finally decided to join because this community seems kind and caring <3

Oops! I should probably post pictures of my lovely chickens! Here’s Belladonna

Attachments

• BCD58268-21F0-4D3F-B383-5DDD6F03EA66.jpeg
    BCD58268-21F0-4D3F-B383-5DDD6F03EA66.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 2
Hiya, Astro, and welcome to BYC!! :frow Belladonna is adorable!

Your chicks should be fine kept under the care of what sounds like four hens! I would just make sure the water receptacle momma hens will bring the babies to is shallow or else put some marbles in it so babies can't fall in and drown. All the chickens can eat starter feed so I've replaced layer feed with starter feed when my hens have chicks and put oyster shell out for the other hens as the starter doesn't have much but it's got what the chicks need. Good luck!!

Your chicks should be fine kept under the care of what sounds like four hens! I would just make sure the water receptacle momma hens will bring the babies to is shallow or else put some marbles in it so babies can't fall in and drown. All the chickens can eat starter feed so I've replaced layer feed with starter feed when my hens have chicks and put oyster shell out for the other hens as the starter doesn't have much but it's got what the chicks need. Good luck!!
Thanks for the tips! The marble idea is smart!

Your chicks should be fine kept under the care of what sounds like four hens! I would just make sure the water receptacle momma hens will bring the babies to is shallow or else put some marbles in it so babies can't fall in and drown. All the chickens can eat starter feed so I've replaced layer feed with starter feed when my hens have chicks and put oyster shell out for the other hens as the starter doesn't have much but it's got what the chicks need. Good lu

Back
Top Bottom