Hi chicken people!

CoopPoop

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
East Kansas
Been reading articles and gathering ideas for our first family coop for a couple months now and figured it was about time to officially join. We're from Olathe, KS with 4 kids and just bought out first house a little over a year ago and have been talking about getting a flock since. So eggcited to pick some knowledge from such a warm and informative community!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-
My wife and I both grew up around chickens but neither of our families owned a flock directly.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
-
0. We're actually planning to get our first flock started this spring. Our kids are all on board so their is no turning back.
(3) What breeds do you have?
-
We are still debating/looking at what's available in our area as we don't like to buy what we can't see but are favoring more family friendly breeds like Silkie/Orp/Legbar as we have kids who will be handling them regularly.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
-
It's a pet, that poops food and makes compost, how cool is that!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
-
We are avid gardeners and love spending our time outdoors in the dirt. Aside from that we are both bookworms (Fantasy for the wife, History for me). We also enjoy making and trying new foods.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
-
My wife and I have been married for 5 years now. We have 4 awesome kids ranging in ages from 4 months-7yr as well as a dog. We're very lucky in that we both work from home and can spend as much time as we do with our kids.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
-
Between our local chicken friends and lots of googling taking me to the site we have been reading forums, looking at coop ideas, and seeing what others can share for about a yearish now. As we put the final plans on our coop and plan to get chickens this spring it felt real enough to actually join up.

Been reading articles and gathering ideas for our first family coop for a couple months now and figured it was about time to officially join. We're from Olathe, KS with 4 kids and just bought out first house a little over a year ago and have been talking about getting a flock since. So eggcited to pick some knowledge from such a warm and informative community!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
-
My wife and I both grew up around chickens but neither of our families owned a flock directly.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
-
0. We're actually planning to get our first flock started this spring. Our kids are all on board so their is no turning back.
(3) What breeds do you have?
-
We are still debating/looking at what's available in our area as we don't like to buy what we can't see but are favoring more family friendly breeds like Silkie/Orp/Legbar as we have kids who will be handling them regularly.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
-
It's a pet, that poops food and makes compost, how cool is that!
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
-
We are avid gardeners and love spending our time outdoors in the dirt. Aside from that we are both bookworms (Fantasy for the wife, History for me). We also enjoy making and trying new foods.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
-
My wife and I have been married for 5 years now. We have 4 awesome kids ranging in ages from 4 months-7yr as well as a dog. We're very lucky in that we both work from home and can spend as much time as we do with our kids.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
-
Between our local chicken friends and lots of googling taking me to the site we have been reading forums, looking at coop ideas, and seeing what others can share for about a yearish now. As we put the final plans on our coop and plan to get chickens this spring it felt real enough to actually join up.
Welcome to byc. If you are having them for pets legbars can be flighty. The other two are great choices! Some other birds that are good for pets are sussex cochin faverolles and brahmas

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I may be a little biased, but I think Silkies make the best pets. You can even dress them up. Here's Marsha, thanks to @2ndTink putting a costume on her.

2nd tink high society.jpg

Back
Top Bottom