Hi! Concerned my Orpington 'hen' is a Roo!

Happyfrieds

Hatching
May 26, 2015
Hello! We bought 5 chicks March 9 at a day old. We asked for all hens, but it looks like one of our Orpingtons might be a Roo? Can anyone help us figure it out? Our other Orpington looks much different which has caused us some concern... The first pic is our other Orpington... The next 2 pics are the chick in question. Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Unfortunately we are not allowed to have roosters... Only hens:(. Unless we can think of a creative option to keep him. My kids would be crushed...

Unfortunately we are not allowed to have roosters... Only hens:(. Unless we can think of a creative option to keep him. My kids would be crushed...
There are no-crow rooster collars which I've heard reduce the noise. Other than that, you could try keeping him in the garage for the night so his early-morning crowing won't disturb the neighbours as much. It depends how strict the regulations in your area are :)

He's a cockerel and I wouldn't keep him if I were you. Well actually I would because I did and it has come back to bite me in the butt. Literally. He will most likely become aggressive as he matures which can be dangerous for your kids and hens if you don't have enough of them. Rehome him now before you are too attached.

He's a cockerel and I wouldn't keep him if I were you. Well actually I would because I did and it has come back to bite me in the butt. Literally. He will most likely become aggressive as he matures which can be dangerous for your kids and hens if you don't have enough of them. Rehome him now before you are too attached.
I disagree. Buff Orpingtons are some of the most gentle chickens that I know of. Though I will also say it does depend on the individual rooster. If he does turn 'mean', I'd re-home him.

I disagree. Buff Orpingtons are some of the most gentle chickens that I know of. Though I will also say it does depend on the individual rooster. If he does turn 'mean', I'd re-home him.

That is just my personal experience. I have a Buff Orpington rooster who was and still is my favorite but he is now a year old and SO MEAN. I've been working on my relationship with him and it has gotten better but he still flogs me more times than not. And now he is way too aggressive with the hens so I have to rehome him which kills me. Every rooster is different though so I am not saying that all roosters are mean but one day the sweetest rooster my turn around and attack your face. Just hope it isn't your child's face...

That is just my personal experience. I have a Buff Orpington rooster who was and still is my favorite but he is now a year old and SO MEAN. I've been working on my relationship with him and it has gotten better but he still flogs me more times than not. And now he is way too aggressive with the hens so I have to rehome him which kills me. Every rooster is different though so I am not saying that all roosters are mean but one day the sweetest rooster my turn around and attack your face. Just hope it isn't your child's face...
Of course. It's a shame when roosters turn out that way.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom