Hi everyone ... Looking forward to learning more!

hbrunet72

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2022
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am very new to chickens, however I have been reading and researching for years. I know that there will be way more to learn now that I have birds, and for some reason I am way more nervous now than I was before I got them. I picked up my birds on June 8, so we are almost a week in.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 13 female chicks and 1 male chick; along with 11 white muscovy ducklings.

(3) What breeds do you have?

The chickens I chose were red sex link.

(4) What are your favourite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love learning, and have always been a life long learner. I can't really say what my favourite aspect is yet, as I am so new to this.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a handmade soap manufacturer, with my own small business. I also am the primary person responsible for any of the chores around my parent's property (chickens and ducklings are the first livestock we have, but we have a HUGE vegetable garden that I need to care for). So hobbies are few and far between. When I do have time for my hobbies, I love knitting and reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am my parent's oldest adult child, and live with them on their 85 acre property in Northern Ontario. We have 5 dogs on the property, two belonging to my parent's, two belong to my husband and I and the littlest one belongs to my brother and his wife who also live on the property. As I said above, I have a small business making soap and other personal care products. My dad, brother and sister in law are all truck drivers, so they are gone from home for 10 days, and then home for 4. My husband works for a local roofing company, and to save gas he stays in the closest city to us with our daughter (and family) and comes home on weekends. My mom is in her 70s and has many physical limitations.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

My cousin recommended that I look into BYC when she learned that I got chickens and ducks. She is a member of the Facebook group (I don't know if she's here as well). I got the recommendation for the Facebook group 2 days ago, joined yesterday and posting my intro today. I am not arrogant enough to think that all the reading and videos I've watched will have given me all I need to know about raising birds, so I joined so I could learn from others and have a place to go if I encounter a problem.

Last edited:
Very nice intro!

I think it's pretty normal to be nervous when you first get little ones. I am a wee bit of a wreck every time I have chicks, ducks or goslings in the brooder. The good news: All of my brooded birds have survived to adulthood and would have done so with or without my worrying!

It's good to meet you! Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom