Hi Everyone

photoshark

Hatching
Mar 3, 2015
Moving to western North Carolina next week and one of my first priorities is to build a coop for 10 to 15 hens. Would appreciate any information on the the coop and the area. This will be our first experience with chickens. Thanks

Moving to western North Carolina next week and one of my first priorities is to build a coop for 10 to 15 hens. Would appreciate any information on the the coop and the area. This will be our first experience with chickens. Thanks
welcome-byc.gif
Welocme, you will find a lot in the Learning Centre and the Coop section of BYC!Otherwise, I'm not really knowledgable on buliding coops, since mine is very simple!

Welcome, I think the coop section will be your best bet. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop not counting nest boxes and roosts. 10 sg.feet per bird in the outside run. Some people make them out of shipping pallets or large appliance crates.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

We're glad you decided to join the ''flock''! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, there is a lot of great info on this site and I'm sure you'll find answers!
big_smile.png
Enjoy your future flock!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your move and new chicken adventure. Definatly check out the coop section for some great ideas on coops. This is a good article how much room chickens need https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

When building chicken coops, the most important things to keep in mind are:

• Provide enough space. Each chicken usually needs 4 square feet in the henhouse and 10 square feet in the run. These dimensions are flexible (some birds do fine is less, and some need more), but are a good rule of thumb to go by.
  • Make sure that there is enough ventilation. Without adequate ventilation, chickens can get respiratory diseases. Poor ventilation can also lead to frostbite in the winter.
  • If you're raising laying hens, be sure to provide nest boxes. In general, you want one nest box for every 4 hens, since hens can share (they don't all lay at the same time). Each nest box should be approximately 12 x 12 x 12 inches in dimensions. Put the nest boxes in a secluded place. Make them lower than the roosts, to discourage birds from sleeping in them, thus fouling the nest.
  • Provide roosts. Give each chicken 8 inches of roost space, or more. The best roost is usually a 2 x 4 board, with the 4 inch side facing up. With a roost like that, chickens can nestle down on it and sit on their feet, keeping the feet warmer in cold weather. Chickens are not like songbirds, that are comfortable using round roosts.
  • Make the coop predator proof. Never underestimate the spaces that predators can slip through, or their strength. Provide secure latches on the door that a racoon can't open. Don't use chicken wire, except for partitions within the coop. Instead, use 1/2 inch hardware cloth. Bury the wire of the run at 12 inches, or make an 18 inch hardware cloth "skirt" extending outwards from the sides. This prevents predators from burrowing beneath the coop. If hawks are a problem in your area, you may need to make a roof on the run, or at least put some netting there.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your future flock of chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

The other posters have given you some great advice and links already. Good luck with your coop building and future chickens!

Back
Top Bottom