Hi from Africa! Would love some advice on all things chicken :)

Alliewis

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Hello,

We have four locally bought chickens of varying colours, and a cockerel. There are only two breeds here, 'local' chickens, which we have, which are fairly free range (we also have three dogs), and the other kind, which are kept commercially in large flocks here.

We've had them about four months. After about a week they started laying and averaged two eggs per day. But about six weeks ago they stopped and we've had no eggs since, and I've no idea why. We've been told by locals that it's no problem and we should be patient, but their information varies enormously in reliability and they frequently contradict themselves.

We feed them corn and kitchen scraps. There is no chicken food available to buy here. Any ideas anyone? (No idea of their ages, when we bought them they were full grown and we were told they were just right for laying. Hmmm....!)

They could be in molt. Are they losing their feathers? Also since they are free range. Check everywhere because they may be laying eggs somewhere other than where you want them to. I had a hen years ago I thought quit laying and she came up missing thought something got her. Next thing I know there she is and a bunch of fluffy babies right behind her. So she was laying in her secret place.

Last edited:
Well,I'm guessing if their young,it's a egg cycle.
You probably should ask their age,and breed.

No, I didn't even realise they might... In my home country I would have done months of research before getting chickens. Here, I thought I could rely on local advice as a lot of western info isn't applicalbe here anyway!

Welcome to BYC! Since you are in Africa my advice is limited but I'll try to help.

It could be your chickens are molting.
It could be the diet is lacking.
It could be something is getting the eggs.
It could be they are hiding the eggs.
It could be they are eating the eggs.
It could be the chickens have reached the end of their prime laying cycle.
It could be a seasonal thing-days getting shorter over there?
It could be external or internal parasites.

Just a few 'it could be' to think about. You can add more greens (kale, spinach, alfalfa) to their diet-you might grow your own. Small amounts of commercial dog or cat food may also help.

Good luck! And glad you stopped by!

Thank you :)

Will try the greens, there's no commercial dog or cat food here.

I'm assuming I'd notice them moulting?

How would I know if they were too old or had parasites?

What, ideally, should I be feeding them? All online advice is about which brand of food to use!

We're near the equator so not much changes season or length of day wise.

I'm pretty sure they're not eating, hiding or losing eggs to anything but will keep a close eye on them. Just before they stopped laying one laid three eggs and was sitting on them but our gardener took them before I could find out what we were supposed to do...

In response to other replies (thank you all so much - didn't get all the replies through at first as our internet connection's not good), there are no 'breeds' here, just 'local' chickens and factory type ones. Ours are local. No one has any idea how old they are, I've asked!

And, what is an egg cycle?

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom