Hi from Alaska!

adonna9

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 4, 2012
I have never raised chickens and I have a 4x4 insulated coop with 5x15 run. Can someone advise me on how many chickens I should get?

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. 4 sq feet per bird equals 4 birds in a 4x4 coop, but I would do only three. If they feel crowded pecking problems begin and being in Alaska, I am sure there are going to be times when the chickens will not be out in the run for days at a time. That's why I recommend only 3. :thumbsup

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hello and :welcome

Three or four birds sounds ok for the space you've got. I always enjoyed having four, that way nobody would really be left out so much if two of the chickens made friends and picked on the other one. :p If you don't have many predators in your area (we don't) you can free range the chickens too. You can get more if you do that.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. A friend of mine in Wasilla said her parents would give me some chickens to get started. They are a hybrid of some sort with feathers on their legs she said they have done well in winter up here. Her parents have 20 birds in a smaller space than mine with no problems, sounds encouraging to me.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!
the sleeping area can be smaller then the living area.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom