Hi from Connecticut

Katie304

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
Hi everyone,
I finally joined the site after lurking for a while.
My name is Katie, I currently have 6 hens: buff orpington, plymouth rocks, RIR, blue wyandotte, speckled sussex (my sweetheart) and an easter egger who is very injured from a hawk attack.
I joined the site to get some recommendations for the EE.
This is my second year with chickens. I love them and love them more than I thought I would. They are so funny!!

My first year was an interesting one. We had a fox incident 5 days after the birth of my second son. My husband forgot to lock the girls up at night and the fox got into the fenced in backyard and killed 2 hens at dawn. (they freerange during the day, usually locked up at night) One of them was the sweetest RIR hen in the world. then my girls slowed down laying in the summer and starting hiding the eggs all over the yard somewhere. My dogs would find the eggs periodically because they would come back stained yellow... My wyandotte became broody so I gave her 4 babies to raise and that was interesting, but those hens I was disappointed because they are not as friendly as the ones I raised in my house. But, it was much easier than regulating heat temps!

We have had 2 hawk attacks in under a week. The first one I lost my austrolorp and now my EE is critically injured, so I am trying to keep my Great Pyrenees out more. She is great for predator deterrence, but her barking drives my neighbors nuts... Like all things, it is important to find the balance.

A funny story, I took my 4 year old to the zoo. His favorite animal there? the chickens! that's my boy!

-- Katie

Hi Katie and welcome to BYC - I hope that the ER folks can give you some advice.

Not sure if you have a covered run or not, but keeping your flock in a protected area for a week or so may dissuade the hawk from returning. Once they know where an easy meal is to be had, they keep returning.

All the best
CT

Hi, I do have a small covered run. (I have the garden coop) It is a good idea, I could try to keep them in the run for a week or so.
thank you!

Hi!!!
hoping for some nice weather this week!

This weather has been terrible lately. Can it just warm up already? My yard is a mud pit from all the rain.

Back
Top Bottom