hi from florida

scrambled please

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I'm glad to be here. I decided this July 2010, I would like chicks for my 2 year old grandson, I bought 5, week old chicks July 5 2010, I loved them and he did too. I decided I would get day olds after my dogs killed 1 of my first 5; yes, I left the dogs and chicks in one room. After the murder, I had 25 babied shipped I gave away and sold all but 4. I have 8 chickens and am loving it, except, I don't have my first egg, I hate that.

I have One Speckled Sussex, One Silver Laced Wyandotte, One Buckeye, One Black Star, One White Leghorn, two barred somethings (very friendly girls) and one orange girl, I don't know? I think they are Rocks. I really love having them and my friends and grandson like just watching them, I let them run around my back yard; they are just amazing to me. They even keep my garden pruned back nicely. My whole family works at a local vegetable garden and get fresh wholesome food in exchange for our time and chicken crap.

I started surfing the internet looking for help because I am a first timer, I found this was a good place to get answers that is why I joined the forum, I do have a question. Right now my question would be: they act and look like laying hens but I can't find an egg, not even evidence of a heist by a predator. I do have a large black snake and I thought, kinda knew I would be sharing with it but???

Besides the chickens,I like keeping my grandson home with me, I know crazy, I'm probably too old for that but... I do a radio show about end time and study the Bible and ancient history and writings. I like to learn new things, I have changed careers three times and presently don't work for money. I have 3 Chihuahua, sometimes I let them breed. I do like to cook and raise mealworms for the girls as well. Oh and don't let me forget the vegetable garden I work with a group of friends.

My husband is not exactly a fan of this hobby of mine, he is a carpenter and made me an enclosure and small hen house but I have no way to get food and more importantly water in it; that is why, I just let the girls run around the yard. I asked him to make 3 nesting boxes 10x10, he made this huge thing with 6, 18x18 boxes, then screwed it into the side of the house. I am think I will move it inside for storage or something. He told me he researched it and they will find it and hope in and lay, I don't think so but it is out there now. It is quite a bit of engineering if nothing else. I don't know maybe they will do like he said?

Last edited:
Welcome to you, from Florida. The world wide web, and we are still in state. There are some Chicken swaps going up soon. Where abouts are you? Your family will enjoy them.

Tons of info on this site and loads of knowledgeable people here also. Who would have thought that poultry keeping was addictive? There is no cure but at least you are in good company. Search up nipple waterers, and PVC pipe feeders. Also deep litter method. Everyone who is new to chickens ought to learn about those things. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

A warm welcome from an imp in Washington.

If they were hatched around July 1st, they are close to laying, if they are getting enough light.

If you want to encourage them to lay in the nests try putting fake eggs and/or golf balls in the nests.

Good luck,

Imp

I think there are a group down there that do swaps quite often. If you feel like a weekend road trip, this is about two hours north of you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=405851

He also sells all sorts of bird equipment and supplies. I have my list ready for Saturday. (I will look for you in case you can make it. I look like the middle egg over there in my avatar.
lol.png
no, really, I do.
sad.png
)

Back
Top Bottom