Hi from Gilbert AZ/Jersey Giant hens

Parentwarrior2

Chirping
Mar 10, 2022
Hi, I am Kristine from Gilbert Arizona. I just picked up 2 new baby chicks, Jersey giants. Anyone else have Jersey giants? I've had chickens in the past but have to hide them because I'm in a community, no one ever knew. We have a very big yard. This time around I want them as pets mostly with with a few eggs as a bonus to use for Sunday morning breakfast on the griddle. I figure with the economy the way it is it's a good time time. I picked the Jersey giants because they are so sweet and cuddly and laid back. I want them to cuddle and snuggle with me in the house. Weird as it sounds, I have a friend whose chickens do that. She was my inspiration! They're currently hiding under my sweatshirt cuddling around my neck as I write this. I have 6 dogs, a tortoise and a bird. The dogs are all used to little animals running around on the floor. Now that I've got these cuties I'm trying to figure out how do I prep for them. Can I buy more than one bag of food at a time and how long will it keep? I'm excited about my new adventure with these cute babies. We live in the high heat of the desert but I've never had a chicken die from heat. We have fans and misters in the coop, which I will put back in operation. I'm wondering if I can keep them in the house at night and let them run around the yard during the day. My last group of chickens sthe chickens stayed in the coop and the run. These are much bigger and more grounded so I may let them run the yard. I never wanted to mess with clipping wings. Still trying to figure it out. Any ideas on how to prep for chickens and medications things like that that I may want to stock up on would be appreciated. I probably sounds crazy. LOL I can be unconventional when it comes to my animals.

1646995538403.png

Yes, you can keep them in the house but it is hard work as chickens can't be potty trained and create a lot of feather dust that goes all over the place.

Hello, Kristine, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I keep chickens in a drastically different environment.
I buy 100# of Flock Raiser at a time and keep it in my mud room closet. But I'll go through that in about 3 weeks. Always buy bags with a mill date no more than two months old. By keeping mine in the house, I know it isn't going to be exposed to excess heat/moisture/rodents or insects.

Back
Top Bottom