Hi from Jen in Somerset, UK.

JennyPenHen

Chirping
Jan 29, 2021
Hi, I first got bitten by the chook bug when I lived in Glastonbury and rescued some ex~cage bords, 4 brown Warrens. They were pale combed, agoraphobic and didnt know how to scratch for bugs. So I taught them and fattened them up. Soon they had perky red combs and were full of character. I thought I'd get them some friends, bought some barred Plymouth Rocks from a local farm. That was a mistake. The new chooks would sit in the wall at the back and hide from the Warrens, afraid to share the run, despite being introduced in the night. Well, an incubator came into the equation and the addition of 2 Aylesbury ducks. Later, I got married and moved to the seaside so waved goodbye to my small flock and Glastonbiry hippy life with tears in my eyes..
So, new home, hubby and career firmly under my belt, I have started to accumulate birds again. I have been very succesful with my incubation of Cotornix and Celadon quail, I've sold a few and hatched another clutch to keep busy through lockdown.

So then I got an itch for more chooks! I bought a chicken coop with integral run and a pair of Pekin Bantam chicks, a lovely black hen and a cuckoo rooster.
Knowing I can't really breed from them as they're related, I bought in some fresh blood from a lovely lady in Dorset, a frizzle mille fleur, a chocolate and a lavender Pekin. Winter has meant soggy feet feathers so lots of fresh hay and even a little paddle bath for the smallest hen who was looking a little peeky last week, if you'll pardon the pun!

Incubator still buzzing away in the back bedroom with some Serama eggs, light Sussex Bantams and some black blue mottled Bantams.
Yep, that's a lot of eggs, and I just got a mixed 2 dozen delivered so I've bought another shed to convert.
This weekend will be spent insulating the quail shed we put up last weekend with some eco loft roll. Then I'll board it out and add some quail racking as rodent cages are just not practical.

The second shed should arrive in the next fortnight so plenty of time to get the new chicks hatched and brooded. I've been picking eggs from experienced breeders so I hope the extra expense will reap rewards later on with some sound, good quality growers.
I will build some nest boxes from scratch and maybe put lino on the floor to make disinfecting easier.
So if anyone has lasted this far and not fallen asleep I'd appreciate any advice on coop building please. It's 6x4ft and the run will be the same length.
Cheers chook lovers!💜🐣

Back
Top Bottom