Hi from Michigan!

Bigbuffygirl23

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hello! My name is Katie, me and my flock are from Traverse City, Michigan

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, we just got our baby chicks 2 weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We ordered 16 but they sent us 17, so 17!

(3) What breeds do you have?

A wide range of breeds, buff Orpington, olive egger, americana, golden and silver laced Wyandotte, sex link, Plymouth blue rock, amberlink, mystic marans, barred rock, light Brahma... I think I got them all, maybe one or two more.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far I'm loving slowly seeing their little personalities come out, but they are just babies yet. Really excited to have them roaming the farm during the day while I'm working :)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Sewing, quilting, gardening, hiking, mountain biking, paddle boarding, building things. If I ever have time I also dabble in some video games haha!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I just bought this old farm with my fiancé in October, we have 16 acres and are really excited to expand our feathered and fur family! Right now we have 2 dogs, 4 cats and well 17 chickens. We have 7 ducks on the way as well! I am a registered nurse, I worked in the ICU and traveled around the country to crisis hospitals during the dreaded pandemic. It is so amazing to be taking some time off and waking up on my beautiful farm everyday!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

BYC always comes up every time I google a question about chickens! I've gotten so much information from this forum which I love! I think it's helping a lot of people like me everywhere. I thought this is just the beginning of our chicken journey so I should probably become a member. And maybe someday I can help answer some questions too!

here are some pictures of our farm, our rock wall progress on our chicken run/coop! And a couple of chicks being goofy 😛

Attachments

• AA8F5ECA-13B3-41DF-AD9B-72C155471F73.jpeg
    AA8F5ECA-13B3-41DF-AD9B-72C155471F73.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • CBFD7B66-273B-4234-89D6-FF81C5BA4C93.jpeg
    CBFD7B66-273B-4234-89D6-FF81C5BA4C93.jpeg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 4
  • C5F63F30-8A5D-4FC5-8084-9A990CF344B7.jpeg
    C5F63F30-8A5D-4FC5-8084-9A990CF344B7.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 4
Hello Katie and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you decided to join us. Congrats on your new chicks! :jumpy Nice variety of breeds you chose, will make for a colorful chicken yard for sure! Beautiful photos! 💗

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, be sure to ask. Welcome to our community!

Welcome!
So glad you are here, and you have a beautiful place in a wonderful area!
We live between Lansing and Flint, also on a farm, and love it. If you haven't yet, join our Michigan thread. We have a potluck party coming up Saturday June 12th at a park on the west side of Lansing, look it up at the Chickenstock thread too. Love to meet you then.
Mary
EDIT: I wrote in the wrong date for the Michigan Chickenstock, it's June 17th, not the 12th. So sorry!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom