Hi From New Member Jodi Yorty

jodiyorty

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 2, 2015
Elizabethtown, PA
Hi all! Excited to be a part of BYC. I started keeping chickens in May 2014 and the site and comments have been very helpful as I navigate this new and exciting world. I currently have 6 chickens ranging in age from ~6 months to one hen that is ~3 years old. Most are pullets, though we had a surprise and have two cockerels. So far they are getting along with one another. Worried about the upcoming cold weather this week in central PA, but have been impressed with their ability to handle cold temperatures. Looking forward to learning from all of you!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. With 2 out of your 6 chickens being cockerels, you really need to get rid of one of those cockerels, and get a few more hens to go with the other cockerel. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and tails, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you need a rooster at all is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom