Hi from South Mississippi!

Davis Farms

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
Biloxi MS
Hey y'all! I'm new here, my name is Kayla and I have 5 Silkies that I've absolutely grown so obsessed with that I'm making my husband expand our coop to add to our flock! My Silkies are about 8 months old, I'm almost positive that 3/5 are roosters and I've wondered why they weren't laying!
1f602.png
Guess I found my answer! I'm a COMPLETE newbie and have no idea how to sex Silkies. We are thinking of adding 2 Easter Egger Hens and 2 Blue laced Wyandottes. Do you think the different breeds will get along? Can't wait to meet all of you! I'm super excited! Also, I live in Biloxi, MS. Is anyone else near me?

Heres a picture of Chick Norris, Melly, & Chicoletta eating some oatmeal I warmed up for them on this gloomy day.

Last edited:
Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay. It's very risky buying baby chicks and even older ones unless you don't care how the sexes turn out. You can always post photos at "what breed or gender is this." for their opinions. Silkies are not known to be great layers but, they are among the best "Broody hens," in the chicken world. They start laying later than most breeds, may lay a few eggs and then go "broody," where they sit on eggs and won't start laying again till the babies are hatched.

They will even sit on rocks, or nothing at all and try to hatch "it." Often you can slip fertile eggs from other breeds under them when they are broody and they will raise them as their own. Some folks don't like them because they go broody pretty often. Others buy them just to use as living incubators, for their own eggs.

That's awesome information! Thank you so much for sharing! I made an account about 30 mins ago and I am already learning so much!
1f60d.png
Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay. It's very risky buying baby chicks and even  older ones unless you don't care how the sexes turn out.   You can always  post photos at "what breed or gender is this."  for  their opinions.  Silkies are not known to be great layers but, they are among the best "Broody hens," in the chicken world.  They start laying later than most breeds,  may lay a few eggs and then go "broody,"  where they sit on eggs and won't start laying again till the babies are hatched.

They will even sit on rocks, or nothing at all and try to hatch "it."   Often you can slip fertile eggs from other breeds under them when they are broody and they will raise them as their own.  Some folks don't like them because they go broody pretty often.  Others buy them  just to use as living incubators, for their own eggs.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Great advice above for you so I will wish you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

G’Day from down under Davis Farms
frow.gif
Welcome!

Your Silkies are adorable! Diva has given you some good advice and I just wanted to add that it is recommended that you quarantine your new additions before introducing them to your existing flock; you do not want them bringing in any nasties and sharing them. There are some great threads on integration also which is preferably done over a period of time to avoid fights and injuries; existing chicken flocks do not greet newbies with open wings.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Kayla, you've already received some good advice so I'll just say it's nice to have you here!

G’Day from down under Davis Farms  :frow   Welcome!

Your Silkies are adorable! Diva has given you some good advice and I just wanted to add that it is recommended that you quarantine your new additions before introducing them to your existing flock; you do not want them bringing in any nasties and sharing them.  There are some great threads on integration also which is preferably done over a period of time to avoid fights and injuries; existing chicken flocks do not greet newbies with open wings.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.  Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends ;)

Oh thank you so much for your awesome advice and thank you all for the warm welcome!

Back
Top Bottom