Hi from Sue in Gloucester, Mass

cherrypitz farm

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Gloucester, Mass
Im so new to all of this from computers to chickens!. Im mom to 2 dogs. a black lab and a cocker spaniel and a cat. I guess I started out backwards and got 4 buff orphingtons before I built the coop..so now Im panicing. Ive had them for 2 weeks now..and 2 of the little chicklets have little wing feathers and petootie feathers..and 2, have just a couple wing feathers and no petootie feathers. I dont even know the lingo..so bear with my vocabulary. Ive managed to buy a dog house..because everything begins with a dog house right? I measured it tonight and its about 30x30..and I forgot to measure the height. I figured Id buy a nesting box and mount that on the side...Need to find a window...and some wood for door.....and well its a flat roof house...am I going to have problems? Did I mention that I live with chronic pain from lumbar radiculopathy and CRPS....Can you tell me when I can start taking the chicklets outside? The temps out here have only been in the 50s. Right now the chicklets are in the bottom half of a dog crate that the lab can fit into. Still under the infrared light...

Hello and :welcome

Your chicks can go outside when they are 5 weeks old or thereabouts, considering your temps.
I'm not so familiar with US measurements, but it's recommended that each full grown chicken needs at least 4 sq ft to live in in the coop. You could also attach a run to the house to give them some space to roam outside. :)

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your chickens. See you round. :frow

Well, on a chicks first week the temp should be 90 degrees F, every week you lower the heat by 5 degrees F until you reach 65 degrees F and they can go outside.

Welcome to BYC!! We're glad to have you!!
yippiechickie.gif

HI and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

In cooler climates your chicks should have supplemental heat until they are fully feathered at 6 weeks of age.

Your 6.25 square foot dog house should be fine for now, but for 4 adult hens you will need 16 square feet.

Back
Top Bottom