Hi from West Yorkshire UK

Yorkshire Duck Lass

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
Hi all. I am new to duck keeping and loving it. It all started with my neighbour a few months ago when I started to help look after her adult Indian runners and ducklings whilst she worked different shifts. 4 adult and 9 ducklings, 8 of the older ducklings were put outside with the warmer weather, until one day later they were brutally taken by 4 of her dogs, leaving just one still under the heat lamp. I happily took on caring for the lonesome duckling on a daily basis, sitting by her side, talking to her as well as ensuring she was fed and watered regularly. I bought her a new house, one she could see out of, rather than the little black box she pecked at all day, this was the day I became the proud owner of my very own duckling, yes I could take her home, over the other side of the fence, she was mine. I sat next to her in her new cage talking away for the rest of the day but when I left her side she cried. There was nothing else for it, I searched the internet for a friend and the very next morning I picked up another duckling the same age, 3 weeks old, happiness. My neighbour then went on holiday, passing over the fence and incubator full of eggs, with no other instructions but to turn them twice a day! I turned them as told, not sure how/which way but I turned them. Unfortunately my efforts failed, no new ducklings. However I later found out that eggs had been added ad-hoc and the power failed for, maybe a night or a day and night, who knows. I continued to care for her ducks whilst away but something had triggered my mind, what if I had my own incubator? So here I am with 3 beautiful Indian runner ducks of my own, yes I bought another, and my very own incubator in which I I have just hatched 4 healthy ducklings out of the 5 eggs I put in ☺️

IMG_20220825_163814_edit_1642258562119718-01.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_162711.jpg
    IMG_20220827_162711.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom