Hi from whisky country

drumgerry

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2016
Speyside, Scotland
Hi all

Just joined and have posted a couple of times already but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. I'm Gerry and I live in lovely Speyside here in North East Scotland. We've had chooks for nearly 11 years with breeds of all sorts over the years ranging from rescue battery hens to La Bresse Gauloises to Silkies and just about every other breed available to us. We currently just have 6 hens and no cockerel - two la Bresse and 4 Legcanas (Leghorn/Araucana crosses). The Legcanas are a great cross and lay lovely big blue eggs but like to roost in trees (even in storm and snow and cold) and have corrupted the La Bresses into doing the same.

One of the more successful breeds we've had was French Marans so I have an incubator with 12 Wheaten Marans and 12 Copper Blue Marans eggs which were set a couple of days ago. Enjoying being part of the forum and hope you don't mind a non-US person being involved.

Ps - here's a little video of some of our chicks from 2 years ago some of whom we still have as grown up ladies (with narration by my OH Lucy!)

0.jpg

Welcome to BYC, Gerry. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for posting the video. :eek:) My wife and I visited Scotland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. We are hoping to take our granddaughter for a visit there in a couple of years. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words Michael. I'm sure you have some beautiful country in your neck of the woods as well :)

I'll definitely check out the Learning Centre (apologies - Scottish spelling!). BYC is a great resource in so many ways.

Hi Gerry,
welcome-byc.gif

There are members here from all over the world so no worries about where you're from. Thank you for the video, the crosses sure are pretty.

Good luck with your hatch and thank you for joining us!

Welcome to Backyard chickens - so glad you joined the flock
wee.gif
. My sister, her daughter, my brother & my son visited Scotland last spring and loved it. (I am not a traveler- unless I can walk there)

Hi Gerry and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. BYC membership spans the whole world, so no need to feel out of place here (I'm from south of the border but live in Kenya) - i think its an aspect of BYC that makes being a member more interesting as we all do things differently. Some great sub-aqua diving to be had up there in your bonny land - i used to be there most weekends during my Uni days.

All the best with your hatch
CT

Back
Top Bottom