Hi from Wilma, Cochrane, Alberta

Hi and :welcome

Best of luck getting chickens again! That's very exciting.
I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

Hi Wilma:

I'm in Cochrane as well, do you know where I can find out what the by laws are regarding backyard chickens? Couldn't find anything on the town website. Also any advice on doing this in the frozen north would be welcome!

Hi there:

Sorry, I changed my email address and just got your email.
I don't live right in Cochrane, I live on a ranch 10km south of town. I don't know anything about the rules of keeping chickens in town. I imagine you could go to the Ranche House and talk to someone about the bylaws? If you only keep hens and not a rooster, it might be a plan.
I am getting bantams, only 4 or so. I will most likely keep them in a pen in my front porch when the winter sets in. But I am thinking of some kind of passive solar heating system to keep the coop above zero degrees and maybe supplemental lighting. Who knows....it's all a fun pastime to figure things out.Good luck with your chicken venture!!!

Chickens fall under "live stock" so under Cochrane's animal bylaws. (scan down to page 16. Item's 28 & 29)

Granted their notable 2012 changes to that bylaw states:

6. Other Animals
a) Horses and Livestock
i. The safe use of horses and livestock in Town will be allowed for
town-sponsored events, approved community events, parades,
or as permitted.
ii. Livestock is limited to the areas of Town that are zoned under
the Land Use Bylaw for agricultural use.

But when you pull up the actual zoning map of Cochrane they're not too clear on what's what.

It may just wind up being a trial and error thing. So long as you keep your gals quiet, no roosters and your neighbours are ok w/ you having them (or are none the wiser
wink.png
w/ a small flock).......I know our bylaw officer mentioned a fur/feathers act where we could have up to 10 strictly outdoor rabbits/birds, unless complained about by our neighbours. I've never been able to find such an act actually written up so perhaps it was just a nickname for it.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the info on the Cochrane bylaws....I like the sounds of the fur/feathers act. I agree, use quiet hens and what the neighbors don't know won't hurt them. There are many cool designs for small coops that look like kids play houses or tool sheds etc. and as long as they are kept clean and don't smell, who should care......If you give your neighbors some free eggs, that would sweeten the deal no doubt!
I am lucky I live out in the country and don't have to worry about neighbors or town bylaws.
Right now I am collecting some really nice clean wood pallets to build a shed and also a small chicken tractor....to be ready for the springtime when I want to get my bantams.
Fun times......

I live in Didsbury AB, and chickens here are allowed. I built a coup last fall, and thought getting chickens would be easy... Some older hens on kijiji etc, but slim pickings. I did find some young birds, who are just now starting to lay. In fact I do also have an incubator too, and my first test is a success! I will soon be starting a batch of speckled Sussex eggs, so if you want full size, let me know.

Good luck with your next batch of eggs! You are lucky to have an incubator...seems pretty exciting to me! I have also looked on kijiji without much luck for the bantams I want. I found the prices very high and lot of the time a rooster was in the mix that you had to buy as well. A friend of mine knows some chicken breeders in my area, so we may go for a shopping trip!! Or there is the Odd and Unusual sale in Innisfail on the Easter weekend....they sell tons of chickens and other animals. Still, a private breeder is the best plan for me. I will keep your Sussex in mind...thanks.

I was just wondering what kind of feed do you use and where do you purchase it? I have heard that there is a feed mill in Olds that sells great food/grains for chickens...have you heard of it?

Back
Top Bottom