Hi im michael and im a chicken holic

michael1003

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Just started Chickens this year planed on four bought 2 leghorns a bared rock and a red sex-linked. Then 8 weeks later the ich started and I said man that 12-9 coop looks so empty. I ended up buying 2 bared rocks and 2 Buff Orpington that were 5 weeks old. Turns out the 2 Buff Orpingtons were roos called they guy he said keep the roos and come out an pick out 2 more hens. Got a 8 week Buff Orpington and a 5 week Buff Orpington. So now I have a nice flock of 10. 8 hens and 2 roos my coworkers have named me the crazy chicken guy. And the wife gave me the evil eye and said no more chickens!

Yes, Michael you ARE a chicken holic - that's why you will fit in here just fine. Your wife is probably right," no more chickens." She obviously means 'no more' till you build a bigger coop or add an addition to the present one. Chickens need 4 sq.feet per bird in the coop and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside run. More room is always better.

One rooster to 10 hens is a good ratio. Two roosters will overbreed that amount, and could even cause injury. Two roosters may also fight beak and claw, once their hormones rise . Unless you want to have fertile eggs you don't need to have a rooster but, that is up to you.

One is going to be dinner. The more tame rooster will live. They are free range chickens. So they have plenty of room on my 2 arcers.

[/IMG]

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have been bitten by the chicken bug! AND you have an addiction already! But so do the rest of us.

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello Michael1003 I too am a poultry holic and after checking around for government assistance I found I found out the government will not assist in the recovery process so I bought an incubator and a very nice brooder that I have been using for close to 20 years now and with the help of BYC I too have found fellow poultry holic's .......
lau.gif

Enjoy your poultry weekend michael1003,
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom