Hi! I'm new and have LOTS of questions! ;)

@elly21 that looks like exactly what we need- great setup! I think setting up some kind of drainage system will be the way to go.
@Amiga it's a mixed flock- 4 welsh harlequins (2 m, 2f), 2 Pekins, 2 Cayugas. I'm counting on the fact that if it gets really cold we will have the option of bringing them into the barn, or heat the duck house a bit. I hope it won't be a disaster starting in the fall... I considered waiting until spring, but was hoping to start getting eggs by next spring! ;)
@Little lake Phi thanks for sharing your experience! Luckily we are pretty far from our nearest neighbors, but that doesn't mean a dog couldn't wander over. Honestly, I'll have to be more careful of OUR dog than anyone else's. Lol.

I don't have many neighbors. Just a small cluster of six houses. We are down a dead end private road in the woods. But my point was more that night time security seems to be more vital. The wild critters tend to avoid the homestead during the day. Domestics don't.
Ducks are creatures of routine. Once they know where home is they stick by.
And once they know where to go at night that's where they go. So they are really easy to take care of.
At least this is my experience.
They are also a blast to have around. They beg worse than dogs.
I'm still working on getting mine winterize before the serious cold moves in. Anyone with tips for over wintering ducks?

Last edited:
Good nutrition is important, including fresh water, so plan for how you can provide both.

I cheat - some of my Runners were so not-cold-hardy I converted part of the walkout basement to their night pen. Works great - I don't have to add a heating unit, the basement stays above freezing. And it's easy to get to them, and it's large enough not to worry when we have to stay indoors for days due to cold or storms.

I converted a dirt floor shed to a duck barn.They have plenty of room. I covered the floor with 1/4" wire to keep weasels from digging under. I plan to install a propane heater in there for coldest of days. Water is going to be my bigger challenge I think. I have Khaki Campbells I've heard they are very cold hardy...I hope so.

@Little lake Phi thanks for sharing your experience! Luckily we are pretty far from our nearest neighbors, but that doesn't mean a dog couldn't wander over. Honestly, I'll have to be more careful of OUR dog than anyone else's. Lol.

I realize this isn't the norm but I thought I would share it......We have a Boston Terrier. When we got our ducklings (both times) she was very protective of them. She wouldn't let the cats near them, not even in the same room as them. She is pretty weary of them herself, but still protective.

I converted a dirt floor shed to a duck barn.They have plenty of room. I covered the floor with 1/4" wire to keep weasels from digging under. I plan to install a propane heater in there for coldest of days. Water is going to be my bigger challenge I think. I have Khaki Campbells I've heard they are very cold hardy...I hope so.
I know you're conscientious - I am sharing these thoughts as a help, not criticism ...

You know ventilation is ultra important anyway, and with a propane heater, triply so.

Fire hazards - don't give fire half a chance to ignite bedding, housing, or anything.

Very good move with the quarter inch wire -

Yes, water will be a challenge, and I suggest a watering station - worst case you can haul the whole thing out of the shed, overturn it to get the frozen stuff out, and replace with fresh dry sawdust and a water pot.

Yes...I know I will have to work around the issues if I heat...But this by no means is a thermos bottle tight building. And when I say shed it's,32 x16...two rooms. I'll be extremely careful with placement etc. Thanks

Oh and for waters I was going to buy couple of heated waterers. I just wired the shed and an in process to install timed lighting this weekend.
Anyone have experience with heated waterers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom