Hi! Im Oma Char.

Oma Char

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2015
We got our chicks last spring. We have 6 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 6 Buff Orpingtons, and 5 Aracaunas. We thought we had 6 Aracaunas but it turned out Cleopatra was actually Leo Patrick! Plus there are 4 old hens that no longer lay but are still with us. Leo had to go to the neighbors, who have over 200 chickens after he decided, at about 5 1/2 months, to attack me.... his Mom and Feeder! All of a sudden, Leo attacked me! I mean he was pecking my legs, flew up to my chest level and stuck my chest with his beak. He scratched up my forearms with his burrs and got between my feet and caused me to fall. He proceeded to jump on me and was pecking and scratching and making a horrible growling sound'! Needless to say, he scared me half to death.I finally got one good kick in and sent him rolling. He is lucky I was afraid to go near him or he would no longer be living. My husband made arrangements for the neighbor to take him. I understand Leo was placed with about 25 old hens that were not impressed with his behavior and they schooled him into being a very nice young! I had no idea he would or could attack like this. There will never be a rooster on my place again.

We have enjoyed the hens so much! they are friendly, love to be held and talked to. They are great layers and the eggs are wonderful! My married sons and my cousin are enjoying them for their families too!

Welcome Oma Char, very nice to meet you. Sadly that is what roosters do to a lot of folks. I've heard the meanest roosters make the best stew. But, the thought of 25 old hens teaching him his place - seems like a good enough punishment for him.

Many folks do not keep roosters anymore, if they want fertile eggs they buy them. If they just want eggs, hens are happy to lay without a rooster harassing and damaging them through over breeding.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I don't keep cock birds unless i want to breed (and I get rid of them, once I've gotten my chicks hatched), but it can be a combination of their temperament and how you act around them that can determine whether a cock bird knows his place or not. Either way, I believe that you have made the right choice - no place for crazy little fellas running around.

Best wishes
CT

Greetings, Oma Char, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! Best wishes to you and your flock!
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Sorry you were attacked. That was a good decision to re-home him where he has some ladies to keep him in line. There are nice roosters out there but as drumstick diva said, you don't have to have one to get eggs.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom