hi new here :)

Hello, Bryan, welcome to BYC. Aruba the home of Divi Divi trees.
tongue.png

Hi Bryan, welcome to BYC!

Guess I'm going to have to look up Divi Divi trees, I've never heard of them...it's amazing how there's always something to learn here, lol.

There is a LOT of information about breeds here. One place you can look are the breed reviews written by members:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

You might like to also take a look at the Forums tab and then Chicken Breeds, you'll find things like general discussion, genetics, breeders, etc.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/65/chicken-breeds

Hope some of that helps. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Nice to have you here!

Hello welcome to byc we all like to share info and help each other learn if you have any specific questions feel free to ask also Aruba is beautiful and the divi divi trees are very interesting reminds me of the bon Bon tree. And on another note chickens seem to be wild in Aruba.. I also read that chicken fighting is still legal there which I frown apone

Hi Bryan, welcome to BYC!

Guess I'm going to have to look up Divi Divi trees, I've never heard of them...it's amazing how there's always something to learn here, lol.

There is a LOT of information about breeds here. One place you can look are the breed reviews written by members:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

You might like to also take a look at the Forums tab and then Chicken Breeds, you'll find things like general discussion, genetics, breeders, etc.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/65/chicken-breeds

Hope some of that helps. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Nice to have you here!

Thank you so much.Well the tree because of the strong trade winds tend to grow on one side.It looks like a half long stretched umbrella.Hope I did described it correctly,sry english is not my native language.And yes sadly not many breeds are found here on the island :(

Hello welcome to byc we all like to share info and help each other learn if you have any specific questions feel free to ask also Aruba is beautiful and the divi divi trees are very interesting reminds me of the bon Bon tree. And on another note chickens seem to be wild in Aruba.. I also read that chicken fighting is still legal there which I frown apone

Chickens are indeed semi wild.Good foragers,excellent flyers,leggy,shy and they do sleep in trees.About rooster fighting,if I am not mistaken its illegal but tolerated,I have to confirm that one.

Last edited:
Are you seeking good laying breeds, meat birds or dual purpose? That would narrow your search. There are also "broody" breeds like silkies, cochins, buff orps. that can take the place of an incubator and do a much better job.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Thank you so much.Well the tree because of the strong trade winds tend to grow on one side.It looks like a half long stretched umbrella.Hope I did described it correctly,sry english is not my native language.And yes sadly not many breeds are found here on the island
sad.png

I looked up the divi divi trees, they are amazing looking. You did fine with your description and your English is good.

If you have questions, feel free to ask...there are a lot of friendly, helpful members here.

Are you seeking good laying breeds, meat birds  or  dual purpose?  That would narrow your search.  There are also "broody" breeds  like silkies, cochins, buff orps.  that can take the place of an incubator and do a much better job.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I am actually starting with egg layers.I did look on the net for hatcheries that would ship live bird outside the US,but most don't.Some I found did offer to ship fertile eggs but after emailing two of them,Im still waiting for a reply.I did went to a little farm supply store,one of only 3 on the island and they offer us what they call in Spanish ponedoras,translated to egg layers.I am not sure if its a breed type they call that or its just a term for good egg layers.Btw after a google search it looks like a brown colored chicken breed used in commercial industries.

Back
Top Bottom