Hi! New (soon to be) chicken mama

Yogimama

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Central NYS
Hi! I am from Central NYS, mom of 4 humans, 2 mastiffs, 4 cats and soon to be a small flock of chickens :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
They will be coming as soon as I finish the coop/run

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None (see above) but plan on 6 egg layers to start. I may venture into meat birds as well.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I am considering barred rock, Easter eggers, dominiques, and a few others, but haven’t decided yet.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
What is motivating me the most is knowing what’s in thier diet (and therefore my family’s diet) , and knowing they are treated well, despite their purposes (eggs or meat).

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Art (I am an artist), some woodworking, gardening, just learning how to can & preserve foods, etc.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I own my own business (home decor & art), and also work part time at a local diner. My four children range from 15-27 years old, 3 still love at home. I live in a small country community & only have a few acres, but want to learn to be more self-sufficient.
My two mastiffs are rescues (who we believe are brothers that were abused etc..one has major burn scars, one has cuts on his ear.). They are 3 years old, best guess & the best dogs ever.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I knew about BYC when I had ducks a few years back (I was sort of babysitting them for a month or so), but now that I will have chickens of my own, and have so many questions, I knew this was the place to go!

Back
Top Bottom