Hi! New to BYC...any other pond lovers?

The Great Ayam

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2015
Well, where to start? Just a little bit to introduce myself...my wife and I and our 3 amazing children (daughter and 2 boys) live on a small farm in rural Ohio. We have about 3 acres...not quite as much land as we originally wanted but enough to have some animals and a LOT of fun.

I learned about this site from my wife and daughter. We have had a flock of chickens and a few ducks altogether for about a year. We started with 5 chicks and it slowly (but steadily) grew to where we are now. I believe we have around 40 birds in total (29 chickens and 9 ducks).

So, we are fairly new to the back yard flock experience...we have a lot to learn, but we have learned quite a bit already...and we are always learning more.

Although I do enjoy the birds, I admit it is my wife and especially my daughter who REALLY spend all the time with them. In fact, from this website they have learned a new expression and willingly embrace the fact that they both have caught the quite contagious "chicken math."
D.gif
In fact, if I didn't try to bring some restraint, this husband and daddy is not quite sure just how MANY birds we'd end up with!
barnie.gif
(my poor bank account!)
hit.gif

However, although I say that, it makes me happy seeing the joy that our flock brings them. And, farm life--though a lot of work--is fun...and what kid (or kid at heart) doesn't love having his or her very own petting zoo! So, who knows...maybe next it'll be a goat or two.

I personally joined BYC because I'm hoping to learn from all those who have small farm ponds. I love ponds. I've always wanted to have one, but I have a LOT to learn about adding one to your property and then maintaining it. I look forward to all the advice. Thanks in advance!

The Great Ayam, I'm so glad you've finally joined us on BYC! And I guess it's a good thing to have some "chicken brakes" around the farm, though I know it must be exasperating at times to be the sole voice of reason...haha! Goats would be nice. When you get a chance, I hope you'll share some of your pond pics. Enjoy your time on BYC. I'm sure you'll meet lots of WONDERFUL people who will help you with any challenges you may face.

Welcome, I'm new too, and i have been finding allot of awesome information and great tips on this site, i am so glad i found it! I would love a goat too but i am taking small steps and with research there is allot involved with goats. I can't wait to hear all of your stories I am hoping to learn from everyone and see how other started out and how they are progressing. Happy Farming
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

Thanks for joining us, Ayam!
welcome-byc.gif
If it weren't for you, @TBirdsTheWord33 and I wouldn't stop getting more and more chickens to the point of becoming poor paupers.
tongue.png
You're so right, chicken math is not only extremely addictive but also quite dangerous.

-Alex

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I love ponds. I had a small fish pond back at our home in Hawaii, and will probably put in a pond at some point here on our new farm in Montana. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom