Hi. New to doves with one about to hatch

Well it appears poor Maddox has been kicked to the curb by mum and Dad.

I noticed yesterday that he had managed to fly up to the top of the cat carrier. Big step as it the first real fly thing he's done. Well came bedtime and he was still up there so I put my hand in to lift him down and he went nuts pecking me(which is new) and trying to shove his beak between my fingers. Though maybe he'd not been able to work out how to get down to feed so put him next to the feed dish and he started eating madly. Next thing dad comes over and starts pecking him till he leaves the feed dish. Seems we were starving because dad isn't letting him to the feed. I'd noticed dad would come and sit right in the middle of it when he was trying to eat a few days back but thought no more of it.

Last edited:
Time to separate!! Maddox needs his own apartment!!! How's his physical development doing?

Still wobbly on the feet and despite being starving wouldn't eat unless on somebody's knee (rather a sook lol) so I think we are a bit of a baby ;-). Now he's not so starving he's eating happily by himself again and stopped biting my hand thank goodness!

Today he's demoted down to an old cage I had and talking to the cockatiel. Hopefully my sisters new cage she ordered arrives soon for mum and dad so he can go back to the one they are in now. He can have a wander round inside later.

Last edited:
Crazy bird lol. Apparently my head or knee if the place to be, or if the kids sit at the table our life's mission is to be allowed sit with them but put your hand near us and we will try and bite it off. Go figure lol

And nap time

He has also started to coo the last few days. Is hilarious, sounds like he's laughing :)

Last edited:
Crazy bird lol. Apparently my head or knee if the place to be, or if the kids sit at the table our life's mission is to be allowed sit with them but put your hand near us and we will try and bite it off. Go figure lol

And nap time

He has also started to coo the last few days. Is hilarious, sounds like he's laughing :)

In love
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

@debs flock don't you love the piggy!!!

Just thought I'd give a little Maddox update.

He had another little trip to the breeder and he confirmed our suspicions that there is more than a bodgy leg going on. I'd noticed his middle toe on the left foot looked black the other day and then it looked an odd colour again another day when my sister was here. It was sitting at a 45deg angle too quite often so we strapped it to the one next to it help hold it straight and keep the circulation up. He looked at it today and said all the toes on that foot are a bit wrong and has strapped each one to help keep them straight. He said the other foot isn't quite right either. (He has a bit of a grip reflex in the right but zero in the left. If I try and sit him on a branch he can't hold on and topples backwards off it)

The breeder said he has seen them with this before but never as bad. He said to be prepared for the day it may start causing him a lot of pain and possibly needing to euthanise him :-(. But for now he said he is actually amazed how well he is doing on them and said he doesn't think they are causing him discomfort at this point. He also still suspects he might be a she. He also trimmed his side tail feathers to help with his balance and to encourage it a bit straighter. When he tried to walk his wings would poke through his tail on one side so now he can use his wings to steady himself a bit better.

He is at that point now where he is selecting his birds to keep from his own breeding program this year and had a lovely white little girl who has a tail that comes too far forward for showing which he has given us so Maddox now has a friend :). I'm not sure Maddox is happy about it though as she kept pecking him on the head in the little cat carrier they came home in lol. Hopefully they should settle in tomorrow in the cage with more room She makes it very obvious that Maddox is a bit of a runt though. They are the same age but he is much smaller.

It's dark now but I'll get some photos tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd give a little Maddox update.
Glad you have Maddox as a pet he may have a good run at life. Most breeders I know would have culled him before this. I would personally think twice before I would let the bird raise a family and pass on these genes. I would even go as far as separating his current parents to find a better match for a superior blood line. Especially if this problem continues in their next clutch of eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom