Hi. New to doves with one about to hatch

That's actually what I thought it was and gently tried wiping it off a couple days ago but then realised it wasn't it's butt like I'd thought. It's not red at all which is a good sign I imagine.

It says putting betadine on is part of the treatment for canker. Wondering if I should do that anyway as it's only going to kill any germs and may soften it if it is something stuck to it. I can't see that it's going to hurt anything if it didn't need it and I do it anyway?

Last edited:
That's actually what I thought it was and gently tried wiping it off a couple days ago but then realised it wasn't it's butt like I'd thought. It's not red at all which is a good sign I imagine.
The canker pus I have seen is like a hard cheese, and that looks quite dry. Umbilicus looks very healthy otherwise.

-Kathy

and just a couple of photos from this morning. I think we are 8 days old today.

and Dad giving me his "dont even think about it" look lol

Last edited:
They're gorgeous!!!! See... Now you have a beautiful baby with proud parents! Keep us updated for more!

These little blighters are going to send me grey lol

Uncovered them at 6:30 and mum and dad both headed off for breakfast. It was 8am before dad was finally settled back on and gave him a feed. The rest of the time he was just left in the nest or mum would pop in on and off but sit next to him not on him or dad would come in and sit on him but when I'd check again ten minutes later he would be by himself again.

Mum was pulling and tidying the straw in the nest and dad was doing his look how amazing I am mating dance and poor bubs was just sitting there getting cold. I hope they don't decide to start the next clutch early, we are only on day 9.

Hi everyone I'm new to this group. I have a pair. The male is a beautiful red fantail with grey tail feathers and I believe the hen is a normal grey pigeon ( don't know much about breeds). I have ended up with these as I rescued them and no one claimed them.
The pair have had 5 failed attempts at breeding. The eggs are always infertile at the end of the incubation period.
I feel for them and wonder if anyone knows where I can buy fertile eggs from so I can replace their eggs so they hatch. Someone please help.

These little blighters are going to send me grey lol

Uncovered them at 6:30 and mum and dad both headed off for breakfast. It was 8am before dad was finally settled back on and gave him a feed. The rest of the time he was just left in the nest or mum would pop in on and off but sit next to him not on him or dad would come in and sit on him but when I'd check again ten minutes later he would be by himself again.

Mum was pulling and tidying the straw in the nest and dad was doing his look how amazing I am mating dance and poor bubs was just sitting there getting cold. I hope they don't decide to start the next clutch early, we are only on day 9.

Do you have a backup plan, in case they do abandon the baby? Also, have you tried leaving food and water with them so they can feed Maddox more often?

Do you have a backup plan, in case they do abandon the baby? Also, have you tried leaving food and water with them so they can feed Maddox more often?

12:13pm and just checked again (went to bed at 2:30 so was snoozing) and they are off him again. I'm not sure for how long. Hadn't washed my hands yet so just looking without picking up but he seems to have food in his crop. How long can he be left without anyone on him at this age?

I guess my plan b will be what I did with my two chicks that hatched a few months back that my from incubator to under broody plan failed with. I've got a fish tank and a heat lamp and a thermostat from my hermit crab tank.

Back
Top Bottom