Hi! Newbie here!

NewChickenMom0711

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2024
Hi! I am brand new to raising chicks & ducks. My husband & daughter convinced me it’s a great idea, even though I am TERRIFIED of birds. We currently have 4 chicks & 2 ducklings. I am not sure about the chickens (2 are yellow & FIESTY, 2 are black with yellow spots on their heads) but the ducks are runner ducks.

I don’t really have any favorite things right now since they are 3-4 days old & their brooding box is in MY bathroom (safest place to keep our cats out & the plug for the heat lamp is a GFI), they are so stinking cute though. My other hobbies are traveling, binge watching tv shows like House, Greys Anatomy, Criminal Minds, & the Kardashians (it’s my guilty pleasure). I’m currently a stay at home mom to my 15 year old daughter & a participation trophy wife to my husband.

I found BYC by Google because I’ve been in oh crap we have birds now mode since Friday evening. I finally joined because I’ve got some questions & you guys seem to be the professionals! I’m excited to be here & hope to learn even more than I already have! Maybe one day I can teach someone else something.

Welcome to the club! You'll be enjoying chicken antics & shenanigans soon & you'll be spending tv time outside in a lawn chair while watching them. They are entertaining! Plus, you get to know each chickens personality & the sound of each voice. Therefore, it's easier to catch when someone is coming down with an illness/injury. Feel free to ask any & alll questions/concerns you come across. They have helped me time & time again!

Hurray for facing your fear of birds; having "stinking cute" fuzzy babies is a great start!

There are countless folks here who will be more than happy to offer advice on everything. Most of us aren't professionals, just experienced and willing to pass on knowledge. Someday, that likely will be you!

Also: Runner ducks!! Yay!! Those are among my favorite creatures on the face of the earth. Mine aren't the friendliest, but they are endlessly entertaining with their undersized wings and odd gait. If you've ever heard the old expression, "pecked to death by ducks," believe me, it would be impossible. They might take tiny nibbles if they're eating out of your hand, but it's more ticklish than anything else.

My best tip right now is, if you haven't already, separate your chicks and ducklings. Ducklings -- waterfowl that they are -- are far messier. Also, they require higher levels of niacin in their feed, and there are lots of thread already posted on the subject.

Have fun taking care of your babies (they grow so fast), and ask any and all questions of this community. Welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom