Hi! Thanks for letting me join this incredible community!!

Dancingwnature

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
NW Washington state, USA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I cared for chickens when I lived/worked in E. Africa. But I am new to chicken keeping in the US. I live in the Cascade mountains in NW Washington state.
She was given to me by neighbours who didn't want to take her with them when they moved. I had no notice, and am building as fast as I can. I'm needing all the ideas and advice I can get! I'm in a wildlife habitat so I share these 6 acres with black bears, cougars, coyotes, wolves, weasel family members, bobcats, Bald eagles, several hawk species, peregrine falcons, ravens etc. If it likes poultry, it lives here! Only garter snakes, nothing poisonous or large.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 1 hen. She's a Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 yr old and the sweetest creature imaginable! Her name is Bandia Sicín (pron.: BAN-jee-uh Si-KEEN) It's Irish for Chicken Goddess. She chose it - I was going to call her Esmeralda! 😁 When I'm done building a secure outdoor run and chicken tractor, I plan on getting more birds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love Bangie's company, and how she benefits my gardens! She and my old ginger tabby cat get along well with a healthy respect for each other. The cat is indoors, but I take her out with me several times a week - never unaccompanied.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Silversmithing, gem cutting, rockhounding, DIY projects, I'm a Master Gardener & Herbalist, kayaking, birdwatching, carving stone, wood and breeding Roses and Daylilies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am recently retired after 25+ yrs. I was a humanitarian aid worker in the eastern half of the African continent (Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Mozambique, etc.). Also recently widowed after 18 wonderful yrs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC in the resources section of the book, The Suburban Chicken by Kristina Urquhart. Books are valuable, but I prefer to learn from a community of poultry lovers of all levels of experience like BYC!!

Attachments

• received_282374086148099.jpeg
    received_282374086148099.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 9
  • received_612228532979505.jpeg
    received_612228532979505.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200608_192215050-01-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200608_192215050-01-01.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I cared for chickens when I lived/worked in E. Africa. But I am new to chicken keeping in the US. I live in the Cascade mountains in NW Washington state.
She was given to me by neighbours who didn't want to take her with them when they moved. I had no notice, and am building as fast as I can. I'm needing all the ideas and advice I can get! I'm in a wildlife habitat so I share these 6 acres with black bears, cougars, coyotes, wolves, weasel family members, bobcats, Bald eagles, several hawk species, peregrine falcons, ravens etc. If it likes poultry, it lives here! Only garter snakes, nothing poisonous or large.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 1 hen. She's a Plymouth Barred Rock, 1 yr old and the sweetest creature imaginable! Her name is Bandia Sicín (pron.: BAN-jee-uh Si-KEEN) It's Irish for Chicken Goddess. She chose it - I was going to call her Esmeralda! 😁 When I'm done building a secure outdoor run and chicken tractor, I plan on getting more birds.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love Bangie's company, and how she benefits my gardens! She and my old ginger tabby cat get along well with a healthy respect for each other. The cat is indoors, but I take her out with me several times a week - never unaccompanied.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Silversmithing, gem cutting, rockhounding, DIY projects, I'm a Master Gardener & Herbalist, kayaking, birdwatching, carving stone, wood and breeding Roses and Daylilies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am recently retired after 25+ yrs. I was a humanitarian aid worker in the eastern half of the African continent (Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, Mozambique, etc.). Also recently widowed after 18 wonderful yrs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC in the resources section of the book, The Suburban Chicken by Kristina Urquhart. Books are valuable, but I prefer to learn from a community of poultry lovers of all levels of experience like BYC!!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Back
Top Bottom