Hi yell! I'm new.

CluckRockFlock

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 9, 2014
Hi! I'm Lisa and I'm from southeastern Pennsylvania. I'm hoping to start a little flock soon. I've been researching and stalking this site like crazy and decided to finally join. I'm sure I'll have a million questions and yall seem super helpful. I just have one question right now. I am looking to possibly start a small flock with a few different breeds of chicken, will this be a problem? I'm looking to have hens only, hopefully. Thanks so much and I can't wait to get started and learn from you all!

*ugh. Sorry about the typo in the title. That's going to drive me crazy. Stupid autocorrect...

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, you can keep different breeds together. They do not know they ARE of different breeds. :)

You might want to stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure and if you have any further questions, that is what we are here for. :)

I like a mixed flock for the varied feather colors and egg colors. Stay away from breeds that tend to be the bullies of a mixed flock like RIRs.

My best advice is to do a lot of research into breeds, don't just get what other people like.
Make your first short list from the breeds that can handle your climate and right off the bat, you'll eliminate lots of problems.
Then narrow it down to those breeds that fit your needs, then wants.
Think about your personality and the demeanor you want in your birds. Will they need to be able to handle confinement or will they free range and need to be more predator proof?
Think about egg production, egg color, size of the chickens, etc..

The following links will answer a lot of those questions. I recommend spending a lot of time with these charts before you choose breeds.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Thank you so much. I figured that a mixed flock would be fine, but I just wanted reassurance. I picked out a short list of birds I want, and so far all I've read seems to indicate that they're all docile, easy going breeds and should get along fine. Thanks so much for the links! I've learned so much from looking at this site and am loving all the new info.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice / links above. X4, similar breeds raised together usually get along without a problem. One thing, crested chickens, like Silkies and Polish can be a problem in a mixed flock because other birds often pluck the crests, so if you get something like that be prepared to keep them separate.

I live in Southeast Pennsylvania. Near Philly.

My shortlist currently has black Australorp, buff brahma, light brahma, barred Plymouth rock and maybe Japanese bantam. I really wanted a few silkies, but was concerned about others plucking their crests. I can always wait on my silkies and build them their own coop if my first go at this goes well.

I live in Southeast Pennsylvania. Near Philly.

My shortlist currently has black Australorp, buff brahma, light brahma, barred Plymouth rock and maybe Japanese bantam. I really wanted a few silkies, but was concerned about others plucking their crests. I can always wait on my silkies and build them their own coop if my first go at this goes well.

Welcome to BYC! Those breeds are all quite calm and docile, although the Barred Rocks are not quite as gentle as your other standard breeds and might batter your Japanese bantams, and I think you are wise in not putting Silkies in with them. Also, unlike your other breeds, Japanese bantams are not very cold hardy and you get some very cold, winter weather in Pennsylvania. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Thanks for your reply. I was on the fence about the Japanese bantam as I was having a hard time finding info on how they did in cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom