Hi yell! I'm new.

Welcome to BYC! Those breeds are all quite calm and docile, although the Barred Rocks are not quite as gentle as your other standard breeds and might batter your Japanese bantams, and I think you are wise in not putting Silkies in with them. Also, unlike your other breeds, Japanese bantams are not very cold hardy and you get some very cold, winter weather in Pennsylvania. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

X2
That was the one I was shy of.
Getting the right breeds up front eliminates a host of problems.
I've had barred, white and partridge rocks, australorps and brahmas.
The only drawback with the brahmas is their tendency to go broody so you'll need a wire bottom cage you can elevate to break them since you won't have fertile eggs.

You guys are all so great. I really appreciate all of the advice. I love animals and above all I want to make sure I pick the right birds so everyone will get along and be happy in the weather here. Any ideas on which breeds are best? Especially from seasoned chicken owners. I'm not super concerned with egg production, that's just an added bonus. I'm just looking for nice, docile birds. If anything, I can get my silkies first and once I feel more comfortable I can add another coop and add more.

You guys are all so great. I really appreciate all of the advice. I love animals and above all I want to make sure I pick the right birds so everyone will get along and be happy in the weather here. Any ideas on which breeds are best? Especially from seasoned chicken owners. I'm not super concerned with egg production, that's just an added bonus. I'm just looking for nice, docile birds. If anything, I can get my silkies first and once I feel more comfortable I can add another coop and add more.
I recommend buff orps! They are friendly, affectionate, funny, curious, docile, hardy and great egg layers. Australorps, speckled sussex, silkies and EEs are all friendly and very docile too.

Here's some links to check out also.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds
http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx

Welcome to the best chicken website: BYC. I hope you enjoy it here!
welcome-byc.gif

I was literally just looking at some orpingtons! A localish farm has a few different varieties of them. Speaking of, I would most like to buy my chicks local, but if I can't, do mail shipped chicks arrive okay? I feel weird ordering animals online.

That's good to hear. I'm a softie underneath all of my tattoos and hard exterior and I keep picturing sad, scared little chicks being squished in transit.

I was literally just looking at some orpingtons! A localish farm has a few different varieties of them. Speaking of, I would most like to buy my chicks local, but if I can't, do mail shipped chicks arrive okay? I feel weird ordering animals online.

Usually mail order chicks arrive okay. I have ordered chicks from four different hatcheries on a number of ocassions (usually which one I ordered from was determined by where I lived). I never lost a chick from Dunlap Hatchery in Idaho, and only a few over the years from Murray McMurray in Iowa, Ideal Poulty in Texas, and Cackle Hatchery in Missouri. Even in those instances where I lost a chick or two in shipping, the hatcheries always put 2 or 3 extra chicks in the boxes, so I still got what I paid for. Lots of BYC members have ordered chicks from these and other hatcheries over the years and the chicks arrived safely. Having said that however, there is always a possibility that something can go wrong (either with the hatchery or the mail service) and you can lose most or all of an entire order. This is uncommon, but if you check the Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries section on the forum you will read about cases like this. The good news is, if you do lose your chicks in shipping, the hatcheries will either replace them or refund your money, assuming you follow the prescribed steps in reporting the losses.

Back
Top Bottom