Alright Lisa,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

yippiechickie.gif
Hi Lisa!
I am new to chickens too, I did a bunch of breed research before starting my flock and ended up with 2 Black Australorps (quiet and sweet), 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks (growing like weeds, adventurous and already planning a coop escape) and 2 Gold Lace Wyndottes (gentle and shy although have gotten much braver after bribing with meal worms).
I was a bit confused with what breed to go with but so far I love having a mix. I was set on the Black Australorps because I wanted a calm good layer that I wouldn't be afraid of working with. I visited my local feed store several times for making my decision and once I was ready we went and got 2 Black Australorps and 2 Gold Lace Wyndottes. The chicks on hand at the feed store varies and I couldn't pass up the chance to grab 2 of the Gold Lace, they will be so pretty when they grow up.
Sure enough, we then went back the next day for the 2 Barred Rocks. We just couldn't help ourselves! So far, they are all getting along famously (we still don't know if we have boys or girls but I'm so in love it doesn't really matter)
love.gif
I know you will be too when you get your first babies home!

I am so excited to start this adventure. Its all I can talk about and my poor husband has been getting a million pictures of chickens, coops and other various chicken things texted to him while he's at work. I think I've pretty much decided which chickens I want, now it's a matter of my husband building my coop!

I am torn between doing a small flock of just silkies, or doing a mixed flock of barred rocks, australorps and orpingtons.

I live in Southeast Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
If you like tiny eggs and birds that are constantly broody (read that as 'not many eggs') get a flock of silkies.

If you want real egg layers that are more hardy for your climate and the occasional broody, go with your second choice.

yippiechickie.gif
Hi Lisa!
I am new to chickens too, I did a bunch of breed research before starting my flock and ended up with 2 Black Australorps (quiet and sweet), 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks (growing like weeds, adventurous and already planning a coop escape) and 2 Gold Lace Wyndottes (gentle and shy although have gotten much braver after bribing with meal worms).
I was a bit confused with what breed to go with but so far I love having a mix. I was set on the Black Australorps because I wanted a calm good layer that I wouldn't be afraid of working with. I visited my local feed store several times for making my decision and once I was ready we went and got 2 Black Australorps and 2 Gold Lace Wyndottes. The chicks on hand at the feed store varies and I couldn't pass up the chance to grab 2 of the Gold Lace, they will be so pretty when they grow up.
Sure enough, we then went back the next day for the 2 Barred Rocks. We just couldn't help ourselves! So far, they are all getting along famously (we still don't know if we have boys or girls but I'm so in love it doesn't really matter)
love.gif
I know you will be too when you get your first babies home!

Welcome to BYC as well, SlowQueen (great user name)! You have a good mix of hardy layers. I especially like Black Australorps as they are very hardy, excellent layers of large brown eggs, and for their temperament (as you stated). My children, and now my granddaughter, made pets of them. Good luck with your flock.

I definitely don't want to do this half assed which is why I'm researching like crazy.

Can anyone tell me what Easter Eggers and wyandottes are like? My local farm has those too and their description says they're good in cold. Will they blend well with a mixed flock? Also just saw they have faverolles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom