HI...

miwin1000

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
My name is Mimi, I own 6 Rhode Island Red chickens, 5 hens, 1 rooster. They are all cage free, free range, and they get to fly, flap, scratch, dig, peck, and crow/cackle as they please. I live on 1/2 acre in central Arizona. They get into everything, and when I'm working out in the yard, they are right there with me to protect me from spiders, cock roaches, scorpions, baby snakes, lizards, and all other manner of small critter they deem tasty. One thing I have found I have to protect them from is STYROFOAM. They seem to love it. The insulation under the house is made from Styrofoam and they got hold of one sheet of it and ate it till it was gone. I don't think it will hurt them, but it's not good for them so I watch now and don't let any blow into the yard, and I have blocked their access to the crawl space under the house. They seemed to love to go under there to keep cool, and this winter, they had a nest under there where one chicken was setting. Well, after a month of freezing her butt off under there, and no eggs hatched, she decided to abandon the nest. Thank God she did! So now I'll have to provide some other kind of "setting" area for them because they can't get under the house anymore. I have some 55 gallon cardboard barrels I plan to waterproof and set up as setting bins. They have a coop, with 4 nesting boxes, but they don't like them for some reason. They will sleep in them, but lay their eggs on the ground in the straw. Yes, I've tried putting the straw in the boxes, but they still don't like it. My chickens seem to have a mind of their own and do what they deem best. So, I just try and go along with whatever they seem to want, and keep them happy. And they are....happy.

Welcome to BYC!!! Make yourself at home and we are here to help. Be sure to check out the learning center. Sounds like you have a happy and healthy flock of birds!
smile.png
Good luck with them!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

images

Welcome to BYC!

Are your birds sleeping in the nest boxes? This is probably why they aren't laying in them. Do you have roost bars in your coop? You should try to train your birds to roost on the bars. Clean out the nest boxes really well and keep fake eggs in the boxes to entice them to lay there.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Always good to have happy chickens ! Sounds like your chickens are doing a good job keeping the bugs and stuff under control, good girls! Ya, chickens like styrafoam, who knows why it seems tasty to them. Putting trick nests outside works well if your birds hide nests, the drums are a nice idea and things like 5 gallon buckets, old dog houses, plastic garbage cans etc all make nice nests to fool the girls into thinking they are sneakier than you are, just leave a couple of fake eggs in there and collect the good eggs out of the nests. X2 it is kind of odd they are sleeping in the nesting boxes as older birds, you do want the roosts to be higher than the boxes and easy to get on off of, and the boxes should have a nice lip on them to keep the straw/shavings in and dark and secluded... you could post pictures in the Coop/Run design forum for ideas on why your birds don't like the coop roosts and nests. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance Do you have a run with your coop, or could you lock the birds in the coop/run for a week or so, so they have to lay in the coop?

In response to Twocrows: yes, a couple of the birds sleep in the boxes at night, and yes, there are 2 roost bars in there. The roost bars are in front of the boxes and the Rooster and two or three of his favorite girls roost there. then there are 2 in the boxes, and 1 on the ground or the lower roost. I just cleaned the coop and put in all fresh straw, and yes, the boxes have a lip to hold the straw. This coop was built by Olsen's Grain in Clarkdale AZ. it is designed to hold only 4 birds and I have 6. There is the back, 2 sides, and the roof that are closed in, the front (with door) and 2 sides open (with 1x2 fence to cover). 4 nesting boxes all in the back, 2 on each wall facing inward. There is a hole cut with a cover screwed over it to access the eggs on each box. there are 2 roosts, one up at the bottom of the highest box, the other, low down about a foot off the ground. I can very easily leave fake eggs in the boxes. I leave the coop open all the time unless there is a threat of which I usually have some warning (my dogs, the fence jingling, etc). The birds can come and go as they please. It seems if I lock them in there, they go crazy, they hate being "cooped" up...lol. If I lock them in, the cage gets so much dirtier and so much faster...and I do have a hard time keeping up as I am disabled and have physical limitations. Right now I am in the process of revamping and old dog house, an old covered cat box (which they seem to have some interest in) and then the barrels. I think a big part of the problem is the heat...they keep looking for some place to be in the cool. they have found the under the porch, which I don't mind them being there, but if they lay an egg in there, it would be very hard to get to. So far, no eggs in there. I'm getting 4 eggs a day in the coop. I'm thinking that one girl is taking the day off, a different girl every day maybe...until I find a big pile of eggs stashed somewhere in the yard...lol. When I did have "older birds" (these were all 1 year old in March), I would find eggs everywhere, laying out in the walkway, in the yard, or just wherever they felt like laying them. I have since gotten rid of them, and the batch I have now is all from the same batch from last year. I tried getting 6 hens, but one decided to be a rooster so...I took what I got and am happy with it. I can post pictures when I get them taken and loaded onto the computer, but with the way things have been going lately, it might be a little while before I get it done. The birds are happy, healthy, and lively and that's what means the most to me. They give me great eggs and for that I am grateful. I'm sure everything will work it's way out in time. I just want the birds to stop pooping in the nests...

welcome-byc.gif
I don't know if it would help but, maybe if you closed off the nest boxes they would find other places to poo. Eventually they would forget about the indoor toilet(nest boxes) and you could try opening them up again with fake eggs and see if it drives the idea home in their little chicken brains.

Back
Top Bottom