Hiding Ceramic Eggs

MedlerKa

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
I’ve put a couple ceramic eggs in my nest boxes to encourage laying. My oldest chickens are around 18 weeks, and a couple of the girls are showing signs of readiness. I move the eggs everyday to different nest boxes, sometimes together and sometimes separate. I’ve been doing this for about a week, and within the last couple days they seemed to have taken notice. While I haven’t caught any chickens in the nest boxes, every time I go out to feed them, change water, give treats, visit and sit with them, I check the nest boxes and the eggs are always hidden and buried under the nest box bedding. Is this a thing? Are my girls in denial of their chicken puberty? Not concerned, and I can’t imagine the eggs bother them, but figured I’d throw this post out there and see if any of you have had similar experiences with this silly chicken behavior. Thank you!

It's normal. They will scatter the nest around exploring it. It's a good sign
I like good signs! When I had chickens before, perhaps they scattered the nest box bedding as well, but I never noticed since I never used fake eggs before. Thank you for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom